1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Transferring formerly hidden files from old laptop to new laptop?!

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by amgregory07, Dec 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. amgregory07

amgregory07 Thread Starter

Hi so I am usually able to figure things out myself when it comes to computers just by clicking around but I need some expert help with this conundrum. My old laptop, a Lenovo Thinkpad had a weird issue once where it hid some of my files but when I called Netflix to fix my streaming the guy helped me make my files re-appear. These files and folders can be opened, edited, and played just like regular files BUT the folders appear lighter than other folders, like the manilla is more grayish than if I created a brand new folder. I didn't think this was an issue until I bought a new dell inspiron laptop this month and tried to move the files from the old computer to the new computer. Example: My document folder has 127 items, which means folders and loose word documents, plus documents within the folders. When I highlighted all the stuff in the documents folder and dragged it to my Seagate external hard drive it said that it was copying all 127 things, which included regular colored folders and the light colored folders from the hidden incident. When I tried to drag all of the folders, both regular and grayish colored folders into the dell laptop, the greyish ones did not appear on the new computer. I made sure that the external hard drive shows the hidden folders and on the old laptop if I click on the folder marked Tudors Season 3, which I bought, btw, the folder says that it is empty but when I open it the episodes are all there and can be watched through WMP. I have no idea how to get this stuff onto my new computer if I cannot get it off of the external hard drive. Someone please help me! I don't want to have to re-download and pay for all of this stuff or email myself a ton of files!!

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

They're marked hidden. It's as simple as that. All Netflix did was help you configure your old computer to display hidden files. They're still hidden. You now have to configure the new computer to show hidden files. Then I suggest you change the attributes to make them not hidden. There's no reason for files and folders you created to be marked as hidden.

3. amgregory07

amgregory07 Thread Starter

Thank you so much for your help! I figured out how to make the new computer show the hidden files but I do not know how to change the attributes of the files that are doing the hidden thing. How do I go about doing that?

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Select them. Right-click, and uncheck Hidden.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1032180

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice