1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Transferring from one computer to another

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mar3148, Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mar3148

mar3148 Thread Starter

I am getting a bigger, better computer than I presently have. My present computer and the newer one both have MS XP on them. I know that I can transfer most of the settings, My documents including photos, and stuff like that. Isn't there a program that would allow me to transfer all of my programs. I don't know if I can find all of the original CD's, and key numbers and I am so afraid that I will loose something. :eek: The old computer is going to be trashed.

2. Cell

Cell

here is an idea...why not just add the old hdd to the other computer? only problem with that is you would have a dual install of xp...

3. winbob

winbob

The "Dual XP" is not the problem. The Applications that require Registry entries in XP will be a problem.

You "potentially" could Clone the old HD and use it, but you'd have several hurdles to overcome.

XP would puke because the hardware changes would say "New Machine, not supposed to run this license here". That can be fixed by re-registering or call M$.

You'd have to install the new MOBO Drivers on the HD before you could expect everything to work correctly.

Plus whatever else I'm not thinking of at Midnight :rolleyes: :confused:

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    try putting the hd in the new computer as primary master, then doing a repair install of the os. It should allow you to do that provided you have the ogrinal WinXP disc and key code.

5. Derrick

Derrick

I would take the old hard drive out of the old computer change the jumper to slave,then install it into the new comp as a slave,then retrive the files you need to the new.Then take the old drive out of the new computer, change it back to master,then install it back in to the old one. (y)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325171

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice