1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

transferring Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Flicker, Aug 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Flicker

Flicker Thread Starter

Hello.
    I'm selling this machine to my brother and building a new system, but i want to keep my HardDrive - lots of software on here already, ya see. Is there anything special i need to know? Can i just put this one in and go with it?
    I'll have to update drivers for all the new hardware, obviously...but will the bios and drivers and settings already on the HDD interfere? What do i need to do before and after removing/docking it? Thanks a ton y'all.

btw...Here's probable new system specs...suggestions welcome.
    ASUS A8N SLi Deluxe Mobo
    AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice CPU
    2x512MB ValueSelect Corsair PC3200 RAM
    2x eVGA GeForce 6600GT (SLi)
    Sony DVD RW Drive
    Xion Case (450wattPS, 2x120mm & 1x80mm fans)

2. EasY_TargeT

EasY_TargeT

what version of windows is on there? if its XP go into the device manager and uninstall everything, then put it in your new computer. you may have to re-activate. if its any other version just make sure you use the driver disks.

3. Flicker

Flicker Thread Starter

what do you mean by "re-activate"?
    sounds dangerous.

4. EasY_TargeT

EasY_TargeT

lol its harmless just gotta tell microsoft that hardware has changed. you know the activation wizard.

Attached Files:

5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Its unlikely to be a reliable install, even with "uninstalling" every device before powering down.

Only a clean install is likely to give acceptable reliability and stability in my experience.

If the XP was an OEM version (sold as part of the original PC) then it may not activate as its meant to follow the original machine to the grave. Or not.

6. Flicker

Flicker Thread Starter

so you're basically saying that if i want to keep this HD it'd be better to format it and reinstall windows, etc?

7. EasY_TargeT

EasY_TargeT

i have completly changed computers before. took the HD and i had to activate windows. i just called the activation in and had to explain why i was reactivating.

8. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The HDD swap complete with Windows installed will be fine if the motherboard hardware is identical. Less than fine if not.

OEM versions of Windows are supposed to die with the computer with which it was prurchased, if it does not activate, explaining by phone that its a motherboard swap usually gets it going again. But you can't use that copy on the original PC again, it needs a new copy. Or it will not activate.

9. shadowman25

shadowman25 Guest

basicallly , either you or your brother will have to get a new operating system. i have had experience with M$ phone reps for the same thing , and got denied reactivation when i tried to switch my windows, much like you are trying to do here. its a gamble on whether or not they will let you reactivate it, or if you will need to at all. but if they don't go out an get linux ;) , or buy another xp copy

10. Flicker

Flicker Thread Starter

sorry i just posted a new post about this...continuing here now...

i uninstalled the video card...what else do i need to uninstall, cuz when i put HD in new machine i can't load windows, it gives blank screen.
    BIOS recognizes all parts of the computer, HD, DVDrom, CPU...i set HD to boot first and nothing.

its a Ultra ATA 100 HD...the A8N should work fine with that...
    My brother went to buy a new HD for this system (going to be his) and an OEM version of windows, so i DO have a new operating system...but i simply have a lot of games/files/music/programs/etc...on this HD already. I could just use the new one, but it would be so conveniant to just use this.

sorry i'm so inept... :(

11. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

I have also done this with pretty much every Windows except XP (which I only have on a laptop and it came OEM.

I have completely switched hardware, and though I generally have to futz around getting the right drivers loaded, I have in all cases wound up with a reliable installation.

It is a harder job and a quicker job than just reinstalling. You do have to know what you are doing, but you get to keep your installation.

I have a Win95 system that has been loaded on the same HD since 1997, and is at this time in its third set of hardware, going from a 100 MHz Pentium to a 750 MHz Athlon to an Athlon 1800. It works fine.

I still have a Win95 system because I still support Win95 with my software (don't ask me why...gonna drop it very soon). I actually have been thinking about virtualizing the system by imaging it into a VMWare installation.

12. dobbelina

dobbelina

13. Flicker

Flicker Thread Starter

just tried repair install. i still get a blank screen when it should be loading windows. just sits there.
    ironic. its for conveniance that i want to keep the same HD....but its turning out way to difficult.

14. dobbelina

dobbelina

Looks like you need to do a fresh install.
    If you have any important files on your C: drive, try to put it back into your old computer and see if it boots, then you can transfer the files to another drive.
    You could also slave it if your brother gets a new hd.
    Sorry for the programs though....

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/388779

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice