1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Transferring old hard drive to new computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Smitty7, Feb 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Smitty7

Smitty7 Thread Starter

I have read several posts about how to transfer an old hard drive (which I want as my slave drive) to my new computer. Here is my question: The old hard drive is from a Windows XP machine. My new computer is a Windows Vista machine and I also have another computer that is a Windows 98 machine. My goal is to transfer some files from my old hard drive to either the Vista or 98 machine then discontectd the old hard drive and discard. Does it matter what operating system I use to attempt to tranfer my old files from my XP hard drive to either the 98 or Vista machines? If there is a problem, how do I get my files off the the XP hard drive?

2. tomdkat

tomdkat Retired Trusted Advisor

I would use an external USB hard drive enclosure. Put the old hard drive in that and connect it to your new computer using a USB cable. Then, you can drag-n-drop the files you want to keep from the old hard drive to the new hard drive.

You can't move "installed" applications this way but data you generated (photos, music, documents, etc) can be. An "installed" application is an application that went through a formal installation process to "register" itself with Windows.

You can find external USB hard drive enclosures online or at computer stores like Fry's Electronics.

EDIT: You can also find external USB enclosures that work with older IDE drives or newer SATA drives. BE CAREFUL to get one that matches the type of drive your old hard drive is.

Peace...

3. daniel_b2380

daniel_b2380

smitty,
    this thread probably needs moved to hardware,
    http://forums.techguy.org/19-hardware/
    that said,
    couple ways you can do this,
    as you asked,
    just connect it as a slave,
    don't forget to change the master / slave pins,
    BUT,
    a problem transferring it to the vista computer though,
    you didn't say the age of this xp machine,
    NEWER computers don't use ide interface,
    this link will explain it very well:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UDMA
    so it probably won't work there,
    then,
    the w98 machine will be fat16, or fat32,
    the xp machine, more than likely, will be nt,
    or,
    put it into a usb enclosure,
    enclosures are cheap enough today,
    or,
    do you have a network setup with your computers?
    with a lan,
    it's quite easy to move info between computers.
    you would need a router, cat5 cable,
    do you have a pen drive, jump drive, usb stick???
    or you .......
    so you see you have multiple choices,

4. hrlow2

hrlow2

No help this time, but welcome to TSG.

5. daniel_b2380

daniel_b2380

thanks hrlow,
    for reminding me,
    may manners going to ........

6. daniel_b2380

daniel_b2380

my typos getting bad too,

7. GGagnon

GGagnon

External drives are trash and very unreliable. If you are looking to shorten the life of your hard drive and make it likely to not have the correct drivers to work with Win98 then go for it. I would recommend you hook it up as a slave in your vista machine and copy as needed. Your vista machine is most likely sata but your optical drives are probably IDE. disconnect your CD-Rom and hook up your hard drive as a master drive. Turn on machine, copy files to destination, triple check you missed nothing and then shut down hook up your CD-Rom and put the hard drive somewhere safe. Is you need the files on the Win98 machine burn a cd or network them...

8. tomdkat

tomdkat Retired Trusted Advisor

Do you actually mean an "external drive" or an "external drive enclosure"?

He's looking to migrate the data OFF the drive so it can be discarded. I'm not sure I'm following you here.

Peace...

9. Hughv

Hughv

Sounds like somebody had a bad experience.
    Since the actual drives are identical to internal drives, this is just plain wrong.
    As far as hooking up a drive, especially with the SATA/IDE divide, just get a USB adapter:
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...EBBP992&cm_mmc=Email-_-Retro-_-WEBBP992-_-usb

10. Zygmo

Zygmo

Smitty. External drives are INTERNAL drives, put in EXTERNAL cases. I have 8 external drives, including 3 or 4 internal ones I bought cases for, that are at least 5 or 6 years old. ALL work flawlessly. Take one of the Fat (meaning not NTFS) drives from your computer, buy a case (surely for IDE drive) for it, follow the simple directions to install the drive, and move the stuff off the other two drives to it, through a USB connection. You will then have a handy drive for moving stuff easily from computer to computer.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/799785

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice