1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

transferring OPERA browser

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by rosmari, Nov 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rosmari

rosmari Thread Starter

I currently have WindowsXP and OPERA 12. I'm getting a new computer with Windows8.1. and want to transfer my Opera12 browser. I understand that the most recent Opera browser (25 or 26) is totally different and undesirable for my needs.

So far, I have copied the Opera file (from my Program Files) to my external hard drive, as well as opera6, which contains the list of bookmarks.

But I'm afraid that the process may be more complicated. I need comments and suggestions.

2. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

The easy way is using Opera Link.
    Download Opera on the new pc and enable Opera link and all Opera data, bookmarks etc, are transferred to the new browser.

http://www.opera.com/link
    https://link.opera.com/loginfront/

Edit
    You must first use Opera link on the Xp pc - then you have an account with Opera.
    Then all bookmarks etc, can be accessed from anywhere.

3. rosmari

rosmari Thread Starter

Are you saying that the link you gave me will download my current version of OPERA (vs.12) and NOT the newest (vs.25)?

If that's the case, how will my current e-mails, contacts, etc. be transferred?

4. blues_harp28

I too am using an older version of Opera - no fan of the latest.
    No browser will be downloaded.

You enable Opera Link in version 12 on Xp.
    Let it update all your data and then when Opera is used on another pc, once you enable Opera Link - all your data is there.
    Including Tabs - Bookmarks and Emails.

Look for Synchronize Opera in the Menu list

5. rosmari

rosmari Thread Starter

I clicked on the links you gave me, but none downloads Opera Links. How DO I enable it?

But I will want to have the Opera browser on my new computer, and that will be version 25 or 26 which, I understand, is of an entirely different format. And, as you say, no browser will be downloaded with Opera Link.

So, is your suggestion to download the new Opera browser, and then have Link import all my data? How?

6. blues_harp28

I do not know if you can use Opera 12 with Windows 8.1.
    You may have to update to the latest version.
    I would update to the latest version while using Xp - then enable Opera Link

You do not download Opera Link - you enable it in your Opera browser.
    http://www.opera.com/help/tutorials/link/

7. rosmari

rosmari Thread Starter

what would happen if I downloaded opera 25 now, in my old computer, into a different folder, such as My Documents? Would it kill my existing Opera12 which is in Program Files?

8. blues_harp28

9. rosmari

rosmari Thread Starter

I checked and Opera12 does work on Windows8. So, how do I download it rather than the new Opera25?

10. blues_harp28

You do not need to download anything.
    You use the Opera 12 on your Xp and enable Opera link.
    http://www.opera.com/help/tutorials/link/

Edit
    In addition to the above.
    Then we you have Win 8 - then you download and install Opera 12 and enable Opera Link.
    Hey presto - all your Opera data should be there.

11. rosmari

rosmari Thread Starter

I did enable Opera Link. But my new computer will not come with a browser, and the Opera browser has first to be downloaded there, before I can use Opera Link.
    My question is, can I download Opera12? how, since the newest version (Opera25) is the one that would be automatically downloaded?
    But if I do download Opera25, Operalink only provides the Data, but not the format; so, if I could find a way to actually download Opera12, I would really prefer it.

12. blues_harp28

You will need to download Opera on the Win 8 system but all your data on Opera link now in Win Xp, is stored in the cloud and can be accessed from any pc - tablet - phone, etc.
    Choose the correct version - 32 or 64 bit.
    http://www.opera.com/download/guide/?ver=12.16

13. rosmari

rosmari Thread Starter

well, thank you so very much for that download site. That is exactly what I was hoping for.
    I'll be getting my new computer on Friday and can hardly wait to install this Opera 12.16 browser! The computer will come with Windows8.1, wih 64 bit.

14. blues_harp28

Anytime - keep us updated.

15. rosmari

rosmari Thread Starter

I downloaded Opera 12.16. I hope it can be tweeked to look and act like Opera 12 which I had - or is the difference also a function of the different OS? Now it's Windows 8.1, whereas before it was WindowsXP.

1) To start with, where is the Menu bar, with File, Edit, View, etc?
    2) on that same bar, I believe, I had the ability to zoom - a small window showing usually 100%, which I could increase or decrease.
    3) at the bottom, there was a task bar, with the start button on the left, and a few selected "quick" icons, such as for Opera and also for my Documents list.

I still haven't retrieved my bookmarks/contacts - weren't they supposed to be automatically transferred by Opera Link?

As I said earlier,I really appreciate your help; it is hard to find someone who is familiar with Opera!

And I may well have more questions these next few days - please bear with me - thank you.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!