1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Transferring parent file security attributes to child folder

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ozegirl, Jul 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ozegirl

ozegirl Thread Starter

If a top-order folder is set to give "Everyone" access and Full control, and I wish this to apply to every subfolder, sub-subfolder and file i.e. everything within the parent folder - is it just a matter of ticking the "replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" - and will that do everything at every tier, or is it necessary to apply it to each sub-folder (would have thought the former)

and if this is done, does it apply it then retrospectively to everything already in the sub-folders, or does it only apply to new entries, or does it do both?

I have put this in Windows 7, but does the same also apply to Windows 10? TIA.

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

I think it just copies all the settings to all the sub folders.

You can test it out by making a folder tree and setting the top node and then use that button to replicate .

3. ozegirl

ozegirl Thread Starter

Thanks yes I thought of doing that. But it does get complicated when a folder seems to be under the hierarchy of it's parent but then has different users with different levels of access. I have tried googling but finding a simple straightforward explanation hasn't happened yet.

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

Even if the parent folder has lots of different users each with different access, it would just copy the entire acl list to the subfolders. At least that's what it means to me.

5. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    The child folders and files will get whatever you have for that particular folder once you check that box.

6. ozegirl

ozegirl Thread Starter

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!