1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Transferring profile from one computer to another

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ozziebeanie, Nov 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ozziebeanie

ozziebeanie Thread Starter

First Name:
    Serena
    Hi All

I was called over to a relatives place as their computer would not boot up. Checked it out and he was correct it’s not booting. Tried several times and no luck. It had apparently not booted up a few times in the previous weeks and notebook is years and years old.

Anyway from an Acer laptop I put the drive into an external case and I was able to read it, (on my notebook, did not have my docker with me)

I copied the profile folder, to my laptop then to his external drive so he could transfer it to his tower; I also pulled the pst files out separate. (So for now he can do his email and has not lost any.

The Acer laptop that crashed was a windows 7 home premium, he has a tower that has Windows 7 pro, so to start with I added his pst’s to the towers email (outlook 2007) yes I know old but it is only a backup computer and he was using that version on his notebook.

Anyway I remember at work a few times when users computers crashed I was able to save the profile folder then transfer it to another computer and away they went up and running.

This time on the tower HP case with parts we put together, windows 7 pro, I did this first time to a computer (not on a network) and the profile folder shows this profile but when I go into users in control panel it’s not there, how do I get it to boot to this profile from his laptop when it does not show in control panel users?

Any pointers in the right direction greatly appreciated

Cheers Serena

2. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

You put the cart before the horse on this one, since you'd have to have set up the same username on the HP tower, log into it to create the initial file structure, and then copy over the profile information. Bear in mind, too, that the original profile files have a different SID associated with them, so you'll have to ensure the newly-created profile has security rights to all these files.

3. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    When you say "Profile" are you saving everything listed under the Windows User account folder?
    If so that only save the data and some system setting related to that account.

4. ozziebeanie

ozziebeanie Thread Starter

First Name:
    Serena
    Thanks Lochlomonder and DaveA much appreciated that you answered, had no choice when it came to saving documents etc the only way i knew how to do it and its all there, and yes DaveA i saved the profile folder that is under users, the data is all i needed, and quickest way to grab all i needed before the drive failed all together as in not being able to read it, thanks for the info enough for me to sort it, thanks for that, will be marking it sold

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!