1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Transferring Program & Bookmark Files Via External Enclosure?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by AkaRai, Mar 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AkaRai

AkaRai Thread Starter

Hello, this might be a kind of odd question, so let me give you a little background.

Four months ago my old laptop basically fell apart. There were too many things physically wrong with it to repair it, but the hard drive was still in perfect condition.

I recently gave up on fixing it and just bought a new laptop. I'd like to get all the data off of that laptop though, if possible. Most of the data -like pictures, videos, music and the like- have already been transferred through my external enclosure, but certain files are somewhat more difficult to just swap over from one drive to another, since the second drive is accessed through an enclosure rather than another system.

Specifically, I'd like to be able to transfer the file containing all of my FireFox bookmarks from the other hard drive, but I can't seem to find the proper file to import/export from. When I tried opening Firefox from that drive -I have not yet installed it here yet for this reason- it lists the bookmarks as blank.

Will I still be able to get the bookmarks from that drive, or no?

As for the programs, can I copy them over to the Program Files folder on this system, and have them work just fine, or will I likely need to re-install them as well? I mean like internet games, instant messengers and flash games.

To be more specific, I tried copying over a flash game, but when I opened it here, it opened as a fresh start without the saved data.

And could I copy AIM over, so as not to lose the personal settings, or the list of screen names -I used a lot, and may not remember all of them.

Sorry if these are stupid questions. While I'm at it, a more general question. What's the current best media player, or codecs? I need to re-download media players and codecs to play the many videos I had saved on my other hard drive. Various formats from .avi to .ogg.

Thank you.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

All programs will need to be re-installed in the new system.

For Firefox bookmarks, go to Bookmarks, Organize, File menu, Export to create a file that can be imported to the other system.

3. AkaRai

AkaRai Thread Starter

Um, do you mean go to bookmarks from the program folder...? Because I already told you, if I open up Firefox as a program from the external drive, it doesn't show any bookmarks at all. So exporting from that stage would be completely pointless. What am I missing, or doing wrong or whatever?

4. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

If you have any bookmarks on the current firefox install on the new drive, you will need to export them to save them before doing the rest of this.

on the old drive, navigate to this folder:
    X:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\??????.default
    Where X is the drive letter of the drive in the enclousure
    username is the Username from the old laptop -- this may be owner on some OEM systems
    ?????? will be a random set of characters, different on every system.

In that folder will be a file, bookmarks.html. Right click that file and choose copy

Now, on the New drive, navigate to X:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\??????.default
    Change the 3 colored items as needed (X will likely be C, etc).
    With this new folder highlighted, click Edit | Paste, and say yes to overwrite the file.
    Now if you exported any bookmarks, you can import them back in.

Other files you may want to copy are
    • prefs.js
    • the entire chrome folder
      These store interface preferences
    • hostperm.1
      Blocked/allowed cookies (this is a plain text file, so can be merged with the current one if you've made changes on the new system)
    • signon.txt or signon2.txt and key3.db
      saved passwords
    Another option is to copy the entire contents of the old ??????.default folder to the new ??????.default folder.
    This will completely delete anything you have added on the new system though.

Any programs will need to be re-installed. For AIM, your buddy list is stored on AOL's servers, so it will still be there. Haven't used it in quite a while, so I'm not sure about copying over other settings.

HTH

Jerry

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/698168

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice