1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Transferring programs and files for backup

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by egon, Jul 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. egon

egon Thread Starter

Hi everyone. I have a desktop and laptop (but not a stable one.) I've had my desktop for over 3 years now and what i want to do is completely wipe out the hard drive and reinstall only the programs and files I need. I know I can backup my files and such on DVDs or my laptop via files and settings transfer wizard (btw, can you use usb for that?) But what I'm concerned with is all the programs. I don't know if i still have my serial numbers and keys for all these programs. Will I have to completely re-install and re-configure these programs or is there a way to back them up and transfer them back to the desktop without having to re-enter the serial numbers and re-configure them after it's been wiped out? And with the files and setting transfer wizard, what all does it transfer? I don't want EVERYTHING, that's part of the reason for doing this.

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

No, it won't transfer everything. Programs need to be reinstalled.

3. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

Do you have only one partition, "C", with EVERYTHING contained in it?

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You can't clone a hard drive from one system to another. It might not even boot. You could try, but you'll at least need to run a repair first. JohnWill posted on this a while back.

The best course of action is to back up your data files, move them over, and reinstall your applications.

5. egon

egon Thread Starter

Yes, I only have one "C" partition on my desktop. I don't want to clone it, I want to copy only the necessary files and programs I need to clean up the system. Over 3 years, the computer has been through a lot, and I've done a pretty good job of keeping it up, but it's starting to show it's age. My main concern is having to re-install and find the keys for the programs and set all of the preferences again.

6. egon

egon Thread Starter

Another thing I'm wondering about is how would I completely format my HD? I got this from Best Buy (don't tell anyone :) ) and when I just do a destructive restore, it still installs all the crap programs that come with it, but when it's a completely blank HD it seems to only install ZP, no programs (which is what I want.) At least that's how it worked on my laptop.

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You have to reinstall the programs, find the keys, and in some cases it is possible to move preferences. You can't perform a direct copy of programs. There are system files and registry keys involved. You need the original installation files/CDs and the registration keys.

8. vicks

vicks

Before you remove anything, download and run from the following
    www.belarc.com
    this will give you the information of everything on your computer. I have used this program on several computers, ones I have helped friends/relatives 'fix'.
    Vicks

9. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

"Cobian Backup" is a free utility that is regularly recommended here at TSG. It uses a "Windows Explorer"-like 'tree' for selecting what is to be backed up. Perhaps you would find that your programs are all/mostly in C>Program Files. Then you could open each program file and look for the installation "exe" sub-file and save it. I just did this as a trial.
    {redoak}

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!