Transferring PSU's

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Onzlo

Hello
I currently have a DELL E521, I am thinking of buying an "Antec 900 two case and new motherboard. If I do this will the PSU from the DELL E521 fit into the new "Antec 900 two" ATX case?

crjdriver

It should however why would you want to???

Dells ship with a pw supply that is just enough to pw the system as shipped. I would really really go with a quality pw supply from corsair, seasonic, FSP, or other quality mfg.

Post the exact specs of the system you are building, and we can make a recommendation for the pw supply.

Onzlo

I Am thinking of Purchasing ---

Case - ANTEC 900 two
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-MA785G-UD3H AM2+

Transferring From the DELL E521

-PSU - 305 watt(Dell Brand)
- CPU -AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+ 2.00GhZ
- 2.00GB of Ram (Cosair) DDR2

And Whatever Else needs to be Transferred Inc - Heat sink, Hard Drive, Floppy Drive and DVD Drive.

If this works I will slowly add on to this new one that I will build after it has been complete such as Quad Core CPU And 500watt PSU.
This is why I want to know Wether most stuff will transfer Into a ATX case from the DELL such as PSU.
Thankyou For the help.

crjdriver

OK, I still think you do not understand. The dell shipped with a pw supply that is just enough for the system it powers no more. You are changing motherboards AND the antec case most likely has more fans than a dell case.

If you use the dell pw supply, you are asking for a problem.

Onzlo

Thanks for the Help
I will Probably Purchase A cosair HX-450 Watt PSU I now Understand About How much more the Dell PSU(305watt) will need to power In the Antec 900.

Do you think 450 Watt is a good choice?

Thanks

crjdriver

A 450W corsair is fine as long as you do not go with a high end video card like nvidia 260, 275, etc or an ati 48xx type card. If you do intend to install something like that, then go with a more powerful corsair psu.

Onzlo

One More thing, Do you think It is worth Buying this stuff before the end of the year?
Because they might bring more stuff out in the market Next year and this stuff will go cheaper?

crjdriver

Pw supplies seem to hold their price longer than other parts ie cpu, ram, etc. I would look for a deal like a MIR or free shipping
Right now newegg has this corsair 520W for $69 after MIR and it has free shipping.

crjdriver

It seems that there is a difference in price between the link I posted and the price on the pw supply page at newegg. If you go with that one, do find out for sure what the price is before buying.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online