1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Transferring Raid Array (moved from the Windows 7 forum)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PocketTwix, May 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PocketTwix

PocketTwix Thread Starter

Forgive me if this should go in Hardware rather than Win7.

My motherboard/cpu fried and replaced it with new ones.

Change the SATA config to RAID and was able to recreate the array on the new motherboard. I didn't actually have to actually create it, it just recognized it once I changed the SATA config to RAID and my volume label/name was there (was using/used the Intel Chipset).

Only thing now is that obviously the OS won't boot up (BSOD on Boot). I'm able to get on Startup Repair but all the options on there none of them are helping me get into Windows (Restore Point and Automatic Repair). I'm pretty sure this is something beyond that obviously but was wondering if anyone can explain to me what I'm missing or what's going on? And what can I do to fix it if possible?

If that fails, I'm okay with reinstalling windows but I'll need help in transferring over my files (if thats possible - I'm assuming so because it recognizes the volume)

TIA!

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Best way is to install another drive. Do not make this part of the raid array. Install windows on the single drive however do not activate it. Once windows is installed, and functioning on the raid controller, make an image of the single drive. Now access, copy, whatever you want from the raid array. Once you are all finished, you can remove the single drive. Boot with the rescue disk for whatever imaging program you used. Restore the image to the array and you are done. Copy back whatever data files, etc you copied above. When you are all done [and everything is working] go ahead and activate windows.

The above is one of the many reasons why I do not like onboard raid. IMO if you want raid, then buy a real raid card.

I use and recommend acronis true image for the above task however there are a few free programs that will do this also. The problem might be the raid array. I do not know if the free version of macrium will recognize a raid array.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147682

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice