transferring settings

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

thymekiller

I have an older maching with a 3 GB hard drive. I recently got a parts machine in with a clean install of Win 98 on a 30 gb hard drive. I was wondering what would be the best way to transfer all my file and settings from the 3 GB to the 30 GB, without wiping the 30 GB. The 30 GB drive belonged to my daughter, and I had set it up for her last summer. Shortly after that, she got a laptop, and no longer needed the desktop unit, so I dont need to worry about whats on the drive. I know I need to install both drives in the other machine, and I was wondering if I can just set the 30 GB as master, the 3 GB as slave, then copy and paste everything to the 30 GB drive. I am mainly looking to migrate desktop icons, and custom folders also located on the desktop. Also items in the Favorites folder. I did a little searching on the 'net, but most of their info assumes you dont already have an operating system on the new drive. Any info or suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks!!!
thyme

For Win98, copy the \windows\desktop and \windows\favorites (and all directories below these) from the old drive to the new one.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online