1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Transferring SNES save data from one laptop to another

Discussion in 'Games' started by Judder Dust, Sep 12, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Judder Dust

Judder Dust Thread Starter

Hi guys hopefully this is the right place to post this. I'd been playing a SNES game (Shin Megami Tensei II) on my laptop but then I got a new laptop. Is it possible to transfer my data from one system to another? I'm a complete noob at this kind of thing. Do I need a USB stick? I've never even used one.

Also which files do I need? I suppose the rom itself plus the saved data? I might have trouble finding that.

Thanks for your help.

Edit: I own physical copies of the roms I download.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  2. SeanLaurence

SeanLaurence

First Name:
    Sean
    You would need to provide the name of the SNES emulator that you are using.
    You might also go to the website wher you got that to get some tips on where they store thier data files. etc.

3. Judder Dust

Hi Sean, I think it was Snes9X. I think it would be quite routine but I've never done it before. Should I get a USB stick?

Edit: basically what I'm after is instructions on how to transfer SNES data with a USB stick.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  4. SeanLaurence

SeanLaurence

First Name:
    Sean
    Well, A USB stick is cheap and is one of the simplest ways of transferring data between two devices that each support USB, so Yes.
    I thought your question was more involved. Do you know where Snes9x stores it's game files on your PC? You would need to know that and how to use Windows Explorer to copy files to your USB stick.

5. Judder Dust

Hi Sean, yes I imagine it's quite simple. Could you walk me through the process of using a USB stick to transfer data?

6. SeanLaurence

SeanLaurence

First Name:
    Sean
    I know nothing of your emulator, but from the forum I can see that the Foldewr (Directory) location is shown and set in "Emulation->Settings".
    http://www.snes9x.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=25701&p=58121&hilit=folder#p58121

So after finding out where that is, you could use Windows Explorer to copy the entire folder, then paste it onto your USB stick.
    Eject th4e stick, plug it into your new PC and copy the folder back to the same location on the destination PC.

7. Judder Dust

Thanks so much I will try that.

Edit: also, is it preferable to copy and paste the folders rather than to just move them? Just in case I mess up and need to retrun to the original folders.

8. SeanLaurence

SeanLaurence

First Name:
    Sean
    I did use the word "copy"

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!