1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

transferring software and files to a new computer

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by jps, Sep 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jps

jps Thread Starter

I have a PII 300 mHz, 4gb hard drive computer with Win 98. More than 3 gb of the hard drive is used up. I intend to buy a P4 2.6gHz,120gb drive computer with Win XP home or media edition to transfer home movies to DVD.

I do not want to lose programs and information. I have CDs for some of them and floppies for one. All are Win 98. All of my hardware(scanner,External hard drive, and programs for cameras, PDA etc) are also Win 98 based.

I would like to transfer the entire hard drive contents to a small section of the new drive, so that I may continue to use them as now.

Can this be done?

2. RSM123

RSM123

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You can do it. The easiest way to do this would be to wipe the new drive and split it into 2 parts. Onto the first part copy your old drive. You'll need something like Norton Ghost to do this. Once its copied you'll need to install all the drivers for the new hardware - this will take some time as you'll have to remove all the old drivers in Safe Mode using Device Manager and install all the new drivers. Next, you'll have to reinstall XP and all of its drivers onto the second partition. If you want 98 to be able to see the XP partition you'll need to format it with a win98 bootdisk using FAT32.

Some drivers for you're external devices may have to be reinstalled. I only recommend this if you absolutely need your programs. If not just copy the data to the new harddrive and reinstall your programs.

if you are buying the computer at a shop, you may want to have them do all this - its a lot of work and you need all the right stuff.

4. jps

jps Thread Starter

I have a 40 gig external hard drive attached to a usb port on my computer,which I use mostly for storing photos . If I transfer programs to it using explore, will I be able to attach it to the new computers usb port and access it and everything I have on it?

5. RandyG

RandyG

No, you will have to install the programs on the new computer.

Don't worry about Ghost, or anything that costs money.

Seagate have a good tool for reformatting a hard drive, and transferring contents from one to another with no hassle.

Other than that, I'd follow Triple6's advice

6. tiller

tiller

I remain unclear about the posts in the thread. I am trying to do a similar process.

I want to use my existing C drive with win 98 in a new MB and I don't want to reinstall all the programs again. Is this possible?

Then, I want to upgrade w98 to XP Pro.

Is this possible with a Seagate program?

Thank you for detailed reply.

tiller

7. tiller

tiller

I remain unclear about the posts in the thread. I am trying to do a similar process.

I want to use my existing C drive with win 98 in a new MB and I don't want to reinstall all the programs again. Is this possible?

Then, I want to upgrade w98 to XP Pro.

Is this possible with a Seagate program?

Thank you for detailed reply.

tiller

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

IMO, you do NOT want to upgrade from W98 to XP, a clean install is going to be a lot less problematic.

9. tiller

tiller

john,
    I already bought the upgrade disk. Should I return it, or is there a work-around. I have not opened the package or tried it yet. I am in the process of backing up existing files to a CD.

I would appreciate your comments/suggestions.

tiller

10. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you have the W98 disk, you can just wave it at the install and it'll install a clean copy. It'll ask you to stuff it in early in the setup.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166929

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice