Solved Transferring Thunderbird profile to new desktop

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bj nick

That sounds like really good advice, but I have no idea how to do that properly. I'm sure it's very simple, however, "Clean up your.ini file" is a directive fraught with peril in my mind.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
First off, I do need to know how big each of those folders are. We want to make sure we're linking to the right folder. Please right click on each folder and get properties, post them here.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
First, before you do anything to the files, rename your old one to profiles.ini.sav so you have it in case for any reason you want to go back.

I've attached a profiles.ini file that should work, take a look at it and see if you see any issues you don't understand. It links to the m2iy5hl9.default profile which sure looks like what you need.

Here's the contents.

[Install8216C80C92C4E828]
Default=Profiles/m2iy5hl9.default

[Profile0]
Name=Recovered
IsRelative=1
Path=m2iy5hl9.default
Default=1

[General]
StartWithLastProfile=1
Version=2

Attachments

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I was actually looking for the total size of the entire structure, that's obtained by right clicking on it and selecting properties.

Here's a sample if my two. Note that the default one has nothing in it, but my email folder has 10.9GB of data.

1626304623185.png

Since previously you had checked properties of the m2iy5hl9.default and found 25GB of data, that is very likely the real email folder. If that's the case, the profiles.ini that I posted should be what you need to access it.

bj nick

Sorry if I misunderstood. I believe the right file is there though, I right-clicked and I believe the total size of the folder is 28.3 gigs. It's absolutely the right one, the other one is only a little over three, if I just install that I don't get any of the archives.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Well, then my profiles.ini should point you to the right file and get all the email. Remember to rename the old one so you can go back if you don't like how it turns out.

bj nick

Hi John, to confirm: you suggest the following: 1) I use the .ini file you created, which SHOULD point TB to the correct profile, and straighten things out. 2) You suggest I "rename your old one to profiles.ini.sav". Which is the "old one?" Are you referring to the full TB folder with all the profiles, etc. inside it? Or do you mean the "old one" is mz9oi3g.default-release, which is the smaller profile that we know does not have the full data. 3) And finally, sorry, but can you please give me a step-by-step for dummies version I can follow? In no other area am I as trepidatious about screwing things up and being lost at sea.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I'm suggesting you rename the old profiles.ini that is currently in the Thunderbird folder to profiles.ini.sav as a backup in case we need it for whatever reason.

Next create a profiles.ini to replace it using the contents below.

[Install8216C80C92C4E828]
Default=Profiles/m2iy5hl9.default

[Profile0]
Name=Recovered
IsRelative=1
Path=m2iy5hl9.default
Default=1

[General]
StartWithLastProfile=1
Version=2

Don't change anything in the Profiles folder.

At this point, you should be able to start Thunderbird and see the correct email database.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Hello, is anyone out there? Did you get it working? It would be nice to know if you did!

bj nick

Sorry, setting up all this stuff, busy weekend.......I'm back on it.....

bj nick

Hey John, I renamed the profile to profiles.ini.sav as you instructed. I'm ready to create the new .ini file with the new data you provided, except that I don't know how.....never done one of these before. I looked around a little in google, I guess it's done in text editor, or......? If you can tell me the best way, I'll do it right away and then try it out and let you know how it works out.

bj nick

Ok, I tried it, moved the profiles.ini.sav backup to desktop, then copied the new profile you sent: clicked on the zipped file, then right-clicked-copied the "profiles.ini" file within to the Thunderbird folder (see attached). The result is what I had before: none of the Archived files are there. I'm sure I messed it up somehow. :-(

Attachments

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Open the profiles.ini in text editor and see if it still has the contents I posted. It looks like Thunderbird is generating new profiles, that happens if there is no valid profile.ini

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online