Solved Transferring Thunderbird profile to new desktop

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bj nick

Okay, so I checked and there was more in there than you had (why?? Copied it directly to the profile!) I tried recopying your original .ini data again, restarted TB, it's just doing the same thing again: loading TB w/o the archives. I went to help---troubleshooting info- open folder, and this is there it leads (see attached). Obviously the correct profile is right there, but is being ignored. Tried again right afterwards, and you'll see in the attached that it now leads to yet another profile. Again: copied your file exactly, but something is happening to it and redirecting to a different profile.....any ideas?

Attachments

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
No big surprise, that's what that profile is now telling it to do! Go back to my original profiles.ini with NO EXTRA stuff in the file and then start up Thunderbird.

If you look at the profile it's now using, it has two install definitions, and two profiles. The "last" profile is the bogus one that doesn't have any contents.

bj nick

Okay.....I thought I've done exactly that, but apparently not. When you say "NO EXTRA stuff in the file," do you mean "no extra stuff" in the .INI file?? As in, only the lines of data you had there? Because I've done that, several times now.....or, are you saying to dump everything from the AppData\Roaming\THUNDERBIRD folder? Or are you saying dump any other .ini file besides yours?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
You just showed me what was in your .INI file and it had a bunch of extra lines, you do NOT want them there. If you use just what I posted and fire up Thunderbird, it should find the right profile. As some point, I'd also want to remove all those extra profiles.

bj nick

Yes, I understand you. I have copied your exact file, those three lines or whatever, three or four times now and rebooted Thunderbird each time. Each time it resets up Thunderbird, and puts those same extra lines in there. I've also just deleted the wrong profiles. Any file and pasted yours in, same exact result.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I have no idea what is going on at this point. I've manipulated the .INI file for TB a number of times on a number of systems, and it's always behaved logically.

One final idea.

Let TB create a new profile and profiles.ini, then edit that file and change just the profile name to your chosen profile. Maybe there's one character out of place that TB is choking on, it's the only thing I can think of.

bj nick

Okay, I'll try it. How exactly do I do this? Also, can I just delete all other profiles besides the correct one?

bj nick

Wait.....I think I'm good......called the Cox Care guy again and I have my email folders back.....he basically did sort of what you suggested, in his words: "Ended up having to copy contents of old TB profile folder into newly generated TB- created profile folder that the INI file was pointing at. Also noticed that there were several other extraneous profiles that TB had created inside of %appdata%\roaming\Thunderbird folder over a period of a few days. After that all email folders came back without issue." We deleted all the unnecessary profile folders. So....hopefully we're good, but I'll report back after I give it a couple of days, and hopefully we can mark this "resolved." Biggest change from the last time I thought it was solved, is that now we're in the right folder: Roaming, not Local.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Yes, being in the Roaming folder is key, I can't imagine it ever working with that stuff in Local.

bj nick

The only thing is I notice for some reason, all the email from 2019 is missing. I'm thinking I could copy all those 2019 emails from the old desktop into the new profile....?

bj nick

yeah, sorry, too complicated for me. I'd mess it up for real. I'm researching how to just save the emails for one specific year (2019) and import them or something. At this point trying to figure out which profile they'd be in.....I have so many..... I managed to find all my "sent" 2019 emails, they're okay, so that's a start. I checked the old machine, thought I'd found the 2019 Inbox emails, but no dice. At this point I'm "okay" with it....the sent emails I have from 2019 contain the original messages anyway. Maybe just let well enough alone, let sleeping dogs lie, etc.

Last edited:

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
After all of this, maybe that's a good idea. :D You have what you need, why push your luck! ;)

bj nick

Except that I now realize my "Sent" folder is a mess; I no longer have anything for the last two years. Total nightmare.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online