1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

TransferSpreadsheet :: Field "F1" doesn't exist in the destination table

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by MRdNk, Apr 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MRdNk

MRdNk Thread Starter

Hi All,

I'm attempting to import data from an Excel spreadsheet into Access. As I'm just trying to get it to work first and then properly attempt to use it, I've simple exported my table "tblTenants", and renamed it Import.xls and changed one column of data.

Code:
    However, I get the following error:
    And I don't know why, please help.

2. MRdNk

MRdNk Thread Starter

Hmmm, if I create blank lines for rows 1 and 2 it seems to import properly.

3. MRdNk

MRdNk Thread Starter

Except that it doesn't actually update the data.

4. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    Import copies and pastes it onto the end of the data. It does not overwrite it. Also the reason why it works within row 3 down is that you have specifying the data to start from A3 down. ;) It is probably assuming that row 3 contains the headers and the other rows contain the data.

5. MRdNk

MRdNk Thread Starter

Oh yeah :rolleyes: - "A3" - now I feel like a real tit!

I want it to update the data rather than add new stuff to the bottom.
    TRIED to use an SQL UPDATE statement based on something I found on Google, but it doesn't like it:

6. OBP

OBP

I always use a Transfer Spreadsheet or Import Data to create a Temporary Table and then use an "Append" Query to Add new Data and an "Udate" Query to update existing records.
    You do not need to understand SQL to create those, but once created you then have the SQL for future reference.
    I also use VBA Recordsets for more advanced data "Conversion" on the Temporary table when required.

7. MRdNk

MRdNk Thread Starter

I've now made an UPDATE query that works at a basic level, I guess if I programatically do the whole query and have my importTable spreadsheet only have updated information, and program in if value IsNull then do nothing else update field, I'll get the end result that I want.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/701659

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice