1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Transform Ethernet LAN in to a wireless LAN

Discussion in 'Networking' started by absolute67, Jul 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. absolute67

absolute67 Thread Starter

Hi guys,

In my office we have a windows server, 10 pc's and 3 printers. All devices are interconnected through a wired network. We have some business applications installed on the server and set up them to launch from client computers. As we are going to move to a new office space we have an intention to say goodbye to the wired network and make everything wireless. My question is will we be able to launch the programs which have being installed on server from client computers via wifi?

Thank you.

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I would still recommend the server be wired only. In fact, I personally have never seen a server operate natively over a wireless NIC. Not even sure there are drivers which would work with a Windows Server OS. Beyond that, there are also performance implications which you would not want a server of any type to operate over wireless.

The setup I would do is server wired into LAN. An access point added to the LAN which will allow the clients to wireless communicate on the LAN.

absolute67 likes this.
  3. absolute67

Thank you very much for the reply. Assume we setup the network as you said, can we access the programs on the server wireless without any issue?

P.S.
    I'm not tech savvy and don't have previous experience this kind of wireless setup... can we do all the things we do in an Ethernet LAN using wifi? :)

thank you.

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    You will also find that the WiFi will be much slower than the wired.
    You will need to get WiFi device for each desktop, as most of them do not with one.

It just may pay to get a router that is both wired and wireless. I have one with 8 wired ports. You could test this out before the move.

This way some of your machines can be run wireless and see how things go. Then if all are happy the wired ones can be upgraded to wireless.

absolute67 likes this.
  5. absolute67

Thank you very much. We do not transfer big files between computers. The wireless network will be used only for internet, to use applications on the server and to use shared printers. will there be a significant lag when printing or saving the work done on the applications which have installed on server? (databases of those applications are also located on the server)

thank you.

6. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

It really depends. For the number of clients you have for wired connectivity, I don't see an issue as long as you get an appropriate wireless router or AP which can support the number of wireless clients you want to have. But that's a hardware situation. I don't know the nature of the application you're talking about here nor do I know what other network traffic you have running on your network. For an enterprise level AP having about 25 or so wireless clients on a single AP doesn't present an issue if the network traffic is typically momentary such as web surfing. If the network traffic is more depending and continuous such as video streaming, VoIP, etc, then the number of wireless clients for the same AP drops to about 10 to 15. All of this is due to the nature of wireless communications.

For an office situation, I will always recommend a enterprise wireless solution which has one or more APs that can operate together as a single managed wireless network. This topology allows you to add more APs without impacting the user experience in roaming around the office space and the ability to spread client loading across multiple APs to preserve wireless performance.

absolute67 likes this.
  7. absolute67

Thank you so much. I think I have enough information now to begin. Really appreciate your support. :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1174933

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice