1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Transforming a picture

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by CarnageX3, Nov 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CarnageX3

CarnageX3 Thread Starter

I was just wondering if it's possible to transform a picture that has only text in it with a black background, to one that is the same text, but without the background. Is their a imaging program that will do this? if so please tell me the name and the steps to take, thanks!

2. Hughv

Hughv

Photoshop, Paint.net, The Gimp (See the sticky at the beginning of this forum).
    Depending on what you want, it might be easier to just create a new file.
    Post a copy, and we might be able to help more.

3. CarnageX3

CarnageX3 Thread Starter

I have three that i want it done like this, maybe someone can help me, here they are...

1. [​IMG]

2. [​IMG]

3. [​IMG]

Thanks for helping

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

There is no imaging program that can distinguish text from any other part of the image except from color, etc. In other words, an imaging program can't "read" text and sees it as just another part of the image. Optical Character Recognition software would be needed to actually "read" the text.

But you need to have some background for the text, so I'm not sure what you want to do. Do you want a different color background? The text can't just float in air. :D It has to be written on something.

Making a new file sounds like the best idea.

5. CarnageX3

CarnageX3 Thread Starter

If you go to my myspace page (www.myspace.com/overrated_x_) You will see those images on my page, what i want to do is make the images into plane text, like this (Jacobs Page) That way if i decide to change my myspace theme to another, like one that has a red backgrounds, i wouldn't have to change all the banners to red... Maybe this is impossible :(

6. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Does the attached GIF file work for you? You will need to put it over a non-white background to see it.

Unless you put it in a GIF file with a transparent background color. :D

Attached Files:

7. CarnageX3

CarnageX3 Thread Starter

Worked perfect! But the edges are a little raged, any way to make them smoother? And could you please do this for the other images as well, thanks a lot! :)

8. hewee

hewee

You can make the text with a transparent and save it as a .gif or .png.
    A .png will look better but the file size will be bigger. Your have a have a program that will save the .png with the transparent background because some will not.

9. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Not in a GIF file. You can only select one color or shade of color to act as the transparency mask. Your original banner made the edges look smoother by using several different shades of gray for the outline pixels.

As hewee mentioned, a PNG file may work for you. I have read that a PNG file can have a transparency characteristic but I have no idea how it works. I am also not sure how backwards compatible PNG files are with older browsers or if they work for all current browsers.

10. slipe

slipe

Png does seem to save the anti-aliasing shading.

Attached Files:

11. CarnageX3

CarnageX3 Thread Starter

Thanks Slipe, any way you could do this to the others :) thanks a lot!

12. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Slipe seems to be away from his mouse for now.
    Not sure I know what he did .. But how's these ???

Attached Files:

13. hewee

hewee

I got a newer computer so don't have all the other image programs installed but used PhotoImpact for years and on some things I made if I saved it as a .gif I losted things because of changed made in saving it. Where saving it as a .png less changes were made and they looked so much better. Now this was making things with lots of details and colors and transparent background all tru the image and not just around the outside edge.
    But the file size can be bigger saving to .png and your have to save to .png as save-as and may have to look to see what options it has in saving also. With PhotoImpact it would just save a .png without giving you any options unless you had a box checked. With the box checked when you go to save a .png then you get another box that always came up with the added options. Also to save with transparent background is one of them.
    Don't know just what or why but saving as a .png can be a lot and a whole lot bigger in one program then another.
    But the size also has to do with what all is in the image color, detail and transparency wise.

Like for taking screen shoots of things I use FastStone Capture.
    I used to save all in .jpg or gif but I save all in .png now. I saves then in smaller size also then other image programs if I was to paste the very same screen shot into it and save so I have been and have it so by default all screen shots are saved as a .png.

I played around with Adobe Photoshop Elements 6.0 that is new to me and I got with my new Dell. Still learning to use the program. I took a images and erased part of the background and saved it. I got less options then I would in PhotoImpact. Then it had a box come up with none and interlaced but the none checked by default. I saved the image twice but the file size was almost the same. Paint.Net had more options in savings it and the file size was smaller.

14. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

In PS Elements .. Use the magic wand, with the settings shown in the top tool bar ..
    Select the background with one click ... and press Delete.
    then "save as" a png.

Attached Files:

15. hewee

hewee

Making all new text may make it look even better then taking out the background because of the transparency around the text you want or you remove taking out the background.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/766113

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice