1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Transparency to Images in Video Editor (help plz)

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by airikita, Nov 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. airikita

airikita Thread Starter

Well, instead of giving details on what I'm trying to find, I'm going to give an example instead, because the last forums I've been TRYING to get answers on don't understand jack what I'm asking for.

I want to create a game parody, so I need my images to be placed OVER the scenes to create a game feel to it. Such as health bars, and statistics while a "battle scene" plays, and I need to find a program to make sure it works.

Test effects have the video transparency I'm looking for, and I've tried saving and using transparent PNG and GIF images, but they don't work. I have also tried just using the black background, and using a downloaded video effect specific image that still doesn't work.

For some reason my text effects will work over my scenes, but images won't, so I'm wondering how I can make my video effect images work.

2. diablo75

diablo75

What software are you using to manipulate these graphical elements? PNG and GIF are certainly two graphical formats that contain RGB channels as well as an Alpha channel, but unless the program you are using is designed to handle that channel, it won't use it.

3. airikita

airikita Thread Starter

InterVideo winDVD creator

4. airikita

airikita Thread Starter

ok then, what program will allow the images to work then?

5. diablo75

diablo75

Well, I think WinDVD will probably do the job. I think what's more important is the application you are using to prepare the source elements (PNG's, etc.). If you want something for free that will defiantly do the trick, you might download the windows version of The GiMP:

http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/stable.html

The program is similar to photoshop, but it's open source, so you don't have to pay anything for it. Using it, you can be sure that the graphics you're dealing with actually have transparent areas and not just some solid background.

6. airikita

airikita Thread Starter

Well, I must be doing something wrong with the transparency, because it's still not working with my image. I was using PaintNET earlier, and I see similarities in the method used in both applications.

7. airikita

airikita Thread Starter

I don't think my video editor is accepting any of the images, I've done multiple combinations saving transparency through GIF and PNG in Gimp, and it's still not working in my winDVD creator.. Is there any type of video editor that will? because then I can use both editors to finish my film..

8. diablo75

diablo75

Well if you're looking for just a video editor, the top of the line would be Adobe After Effects, followed by Adobe Premier, but you may not need to take it to that level of sophistication. You're mentioning of winDVD creator made me think you were just trying to create a menu with nice looking buttons. If you're trying to animate graphical elements on top of moving video to be rendered and exported out as an new video, then WinDVD isn't going to cut it as it is really intended for the purpose of authoring DVDs out of pre-rendered videos. After Effects most certainly would, without a doubt, but it might not be an option for you.

Now, if you don't want to spend that kind of money, you might find something useful here:

http://labnol.blogspot.com/2007/01/free-video-editing-software-for.html

Here's an even better link, I think:

http://tv.isg.si/site/?q=node/873

9. airikita

airikita Thread Starter

Ok, I have windows movie maker 2.0. Also, would After Effects make it easier to overlay images? Because, I'm not worried about learning something new like that, as long as I can do it anyway possible.

10. diablo75

diablo75

You can do ANYTHING with After Effects, up to basic 3D space composition, but it's not intended for 3D modeling...just video editing and manipulation. It's an industry standard video editor, used to create and render a majority of the best special effects used in todays movie industry and commercial advertisments. This is why it (and the 3rd party plugins you can buy for it) are expensive.

Learning it is a little tricky too, unless you can familiarize yourself with concepts like layers, key-frame animation, and all of the different filters, effects and tools included with it. I'm pretty familiar with it, as I used to work for TV stations and toyed around with it a lot making little videos for fun. If you are interested in one-on-one tutoring, you can click on my site's link below to find out how I can do remote tutoring for you. You will not be disappointed. ;)

11. airikita

airikita Thread Starter

lol, ya, a little expensive.. I looked at the price, um, the problem with buying it is that I'm buying a 3D game creator program.. Are there any programs that do similar that are freeware? All I want to do is add 2D images. Doesn't have to be outstanding work, since it's only a parody...

12. airikita

airikita Thread Starter

wait, I just found the free trail... LOL, ya I'll give it a test run and come back on that.

13. airikita

airikita Thread Starter

My computer rejects the program, so I need an alternative program anyways.. I just need to be able to put transparent images into the video frame-by-frame, and what WinDVD creator does is superior to Windows Movie Maker 2.0.. So what I do need is something like Adobe After Effects, but something smaller in file size for one thing, and I really don't care what program is recommended, as long as it's freeware.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/647770

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice