1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

transplant hd

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by swellfella, Apr 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. swellfella

swellfella Thread Starter

:confused: I have a 20 gig hd w/winxp I want to put into another computer. This computer presently has no hd. What must I do to prepare the hd for this newer system? What files/programs must I back-up, which ones are OK to remain? What problems/conflicts am I likely to face, and what solutions/remedies are recommended?

2. SacsTC

SacsTC

unless the hardware in the new comp is very close to the same as the old, (same mobo etc) it will not work. If you install a new hd and OS then put the old one in as slave you will be able to access the files and folders so that you can transfer documents, favorites etc to the new one.

3. swellfella

swellfella Thread Starter

When you say "install a new hd and OS" that begs my initial question which is what must I do to install the hd in the new computer? Do I unistall xp, re-format the hd, etc?
    Perhaps I could have been clearer in my intentions. Forgive me. The whole thing is to hold on the this 20 gig hd at all cost.

4. SacsTC

SacsTC

Yes, if you are planning on re-using that HD as the master/C drive, you must re-install the OS on that HD. You can try to use it without doing this, but most likely you will get a BSOD (blue screen of death) There is always a chance it will boot, but it is slim. I've only had it happen once since XP came out. The reason I said "install a new hd and OS" is that if you install the old HD as slave, you will be able to access the files and folders that are already on that drive and retrieve your documents, favorites, etc. If you re-format and re-install XP, you will probably not be able to activate XP without contacting MS and getting a new code. Re-install to a new HD will also require re-activation.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/220549

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice