1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Transplant M.2 ssd drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by daveelmo, Nov 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. daveelmo

daveelmo Thread Starter

Hello, i have a laptop with an M.2 ssd which contains OS and games. The laptop has died so i have bought a new one which has a spare M.2 slot. So can i just slot the old M.2 into spare slot and play the games? or is there more to it?

thanks

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

No, there is more to it. For a program to run, it must be installed [well for almost all programs other than very simple ones] When a program is installed, it copies files to it's own folder AND to the windows and or the system32 folder. In addition, the registry is amended to show the location of these files. While it is technically possible to make the games run without actually doing the install, it requires a pretty high degree of skill. It is one of those things that if you have to ask how, you do not have the skill to accomplish the task.

In short, reinstall the games and you will be good to go.

3. daveelmo

daveelmo Thread Starter

OK thanks for reply, but all of this is on the first M.2 ssd, everything on the 1 drive.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Makes no difference; you must install the program in whatever operating system you are using. If you are using the os on drive 1, then the programs must be installed using the os on drive 1. If you are using the os on drive 2, then the programs must be installed using the os on drive 2.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You can simply reinstall the programs on whatever drive they are now on. This will copy the .dll files to the relevant folders and make the registry changes for you. It will not take up much more room.

6. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    If the OS and the games are on the same drive the games might work if the OS works. It's impossible to say for sure, you can try it and see, it won't do any harm.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Using the os from another laptop may work however there are going to be activation problems. OEM type windows lic are tied to the original hardware. He can always just double click the .exe file for the game and see if it runs. He may get lucky and it will run. I doubt it however it costs nothing to try.

8. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Yes, activation will be a problem, I forgot about that.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1218843

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice