1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Transplanted Hard Drive - XP won't run!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by johnnieq, Jan 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. johnnieq

johnnieq Thread Starter

A friend of mine had an old P3 - 600 on which he recently installed Win XP Home. It worked great, he loves it.

His wife just bought him a new P4 - 1.7 system. He put the hard drive from the P3 computer into the new P4 and XP will not run. It gives a message saying that a major hardware change has been detected, but won't boot any further.

How can he fix it? He tried putting the hard drive back into the old system and XP still runs fine there.

2. Paul Nagel

Paul Nagel

Dont have XP but if he can get into Safe Mode, he will need to get into the Device Manager and remove every thing related to the old computer such as system drivers, drives, controlers etc... Reboot and with luck XP will "find" the new hardware and install it. Personally i would rather do a clean install on the drive in the new computer.

3. johnnieq

johnnieq Thread Starter

I understand that you are allowed to register two installations with XP Home Edition. He has installed XP on his desktop and laptop already. Can he make a 3rd installation on his new computer and still register it? He's willing to format the P3 hard drive so he will only have 2 copies running.

4. Dan O

Dan O

You never have to register but Activate it within 30 days. But you need a separate copy of XP for each PC. The twice activation feature of XP Home is incase you move it, not to install it on two PCs. I recommend you get another copy of XP and perform a fresh install.

5. johnnieq

johnnieq Thread Starter

Thanks!

I was under the impression that you were allowed to install on 2 machines, if you were the owner of both. ie: - a laptop and a desktop, as you would normally only use one at a time anyway.

Guess I better just buy a 2nd copy!

6. Dan O

Dan O

In fact I run multiple copies of XP on one PC simultaneously and Microsoft requires separate licenses.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65518

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice