Transplanted Hard Drive - XP won't run!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

johnnieq

A friend of mine had an old P3 - 600 on which he recently installed Win XP Home. It worked great, he loves it.

His wife just bought him a new P4 - 1.7 system. He put the hard drive from the P3 computer into the new P4 and XP will not run. It gives a message saying that a major hardware change has been detected, but won't boot any further.

How can he fix it? He tried putting the hard drive back into the old system and XP still runs fine there.

Dont have XP but if he can get into Safe Mode, he will need to get into the Device Manager and remove every thing related to the old computer such as system drivers, drives, controlers etc... Reboot and with luck XP will "find" the new hardware and install it. Personally i would rather do a clean install on the drive in the new computer.

johnnieq

I understand that you are allowed to register two installations with XP Home Edition. He has installed XP on his desktop and laptop already. Can he make a 3rd installation on his new computer and still register it? He's willing to format the P3 hard drive so he will only have 2 copies running.

You never have to register but Activate it within 30 days. But you need a separate copy of XP for each PC. The twice activation feature of XP Home is incase you move it, not to install it on two PCs. I recommend you get another copy of XP and perform a fresh install.

johnnieq

Thanks!

I was under the impression that you were allowed to install on 2 machines, if you were the owner of both. ie: - a laptop and a desktop, as you would normally only use one at a time anyway.

Guess I better just buy a 2nd copy!

In fact I run multiple copies of XP on one PC simultaneously and Microsoft requires separate licenses.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online