1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

trap00000006 exception

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mang012345, Jan 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mang012345

mang012345 Thread Starter

please help,

well i formatted my hard drive,i tried to install 2000 operating system, when i put the bootdisk in the floppy drive , first it gives me welcome to setup then it gives a big blue screen with a lot of numbers and says trap exception, is there any other way i can installoperating system. thank you for your reply

2. SexyTech

SexyTech

3. MadDogMugsy

MadDogMugsy Guest

4. mang012345

sexytech and maddog mugsy
    thank you for the reply.

ok i tried those suggestions but i still have problems. ok
    the instructions says when the blue screen with welcome to setup appears press c or r i tried to press c and also tried to prees r to get in to the repair instalation menu but it wont let me in the menu. the screen just goes from the welcome setup menu to the trap 00006 exception screen any other suggestions apprecieted

5. SexyTech

SexyTech

you're booting up the system with Win2000 floppy disks or the Win2000 CD?

The CD should be fully bootable, try booting to the CD rather than then floppy.

Go into BIOS on boot and make sure that "ATAPI-CDRom is the first boot device.

Then poot to the Win2000 cd. Setup will start and then prompt you to install or use the recovery console. Choose the recovery console that way!

Good Luck!

ST

6. mang012345

welli tried it froma cd but it says bootable cd not found
    and says invalid disk error

7. mang012345

8. The_Egg

The_Egg

I've never personally used Win2k (went from 95c to 98SE to ME to XP), but I don't think you can use the recovery console if you've reformatted the hard drive (surely the admin password and everything else is lost forever, including the ntldr file?). Therefore mang012345 needs to install Win2k fresh.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304868

However, it seems to me that something's gone wrong with the reformat, so I'll leave it to you guys from here . . . ;)

9. MadDogMugsy

MadDogMugsy Guest

question
    - what was the original operating system on that machine?
    ... can it handle 2000?

asking because I have done a couple of calls where folks had tried to upgrade the os without checking the requirments first - and the machine could not handle the upgrade.

MDM

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115985

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice