1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Travel WiFi Router for a Palm Question

Discussion in 'DOS/Other' started by cycler, Apr 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cycler

cycler Thread Starter

I was reading about a router that you use when you are in a hotel (or anywhere) that has wired service but you want to use your WiFi device - in my case a Palm TX.

Does anyone know anything about these (do they really allow you to get online on an unwired device) and how do you connect it to their modem?

Thanks!

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

If a hotel just as wired connections in their rooms to the Internet, you could probably bring along any standard wifi router and connect into that. This may or may not work depending on how they have their network setup. They certainly don't want everyone and their grandmother plugging in Wireless access points. Most hotels I have stayed at require you to go thru a proxy server which requires you to enter a passcode to get to the internet.

3. cycler

cycler Thread Starter

I was also considering using it at home for my Palm because I bought a standard wifi router and no matter what I did (including asking on these boards and calling the company's support) I was unable to get it to work. So, I thought that a portable one which was intended to be temporarily plugged in and didn't require any configuration might also work at home in my situation.

4. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I have a Palm TX and it works just fine with my Dlink Wireless router. I even use WPA encryption and it works just fine. I believe the router needs to support Wireless B for the TX to connect.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/699972

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice