1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Traveling overseas with laptop

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Reviews' started by Bellcrest, Jul 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bellcrest

Bellcrest Thread Starter

I just purchased a new Toshiba laptop and plan on taking it to the UK, Singapore and Australia with me.

Does anyone have any advice on traveling with laptop? I am assuming I will need plug adapters and surge protector. Anything else or any helpful hints anyone has to offer about travel with computer?

TIA

Shirley

2. Carvalho

Carvalho

I'm originally from Canada but I'm studying here in Barcelona and have had the chance to travel here in Europe. Traveling with a laptop you have to make sure you have the plug adaptor, all laptops currently can convert the voltage from 110-240V. I do not use a surge protector and have not had any problems.

Heres a question, where did you purchase your laptop? Reason I ask is I purchased my laptop from Future Shop & also purchased their product service plan. Insuring me that I'm covered anywhere in the world if something goes wrong. Great investment, just thought I would let you know.

Carvalho

3. Bellcrest

Bellcrest Thread Starter

Hey fellow Canadian, thanks for the quick response. I b ought my laptop just last week at Staples and purchased 2 year extended warranty so that was probably smart move.

I have never travelled overseas with a laptop before and will find this most interesting and frustrating also I am told.

I do web design and while I am away I will need to make updates to some of my clients sites. I sure hope that getting connected and accessing the web are not going to be big issues.

4. Carvalho

Carvalho

When purchasing my laptop I did some serious competitive shopping; one reason why I didn't purchase my laptop at Staples was because they did not cover me worldwide. For me that was important not needing to send my laptop back home and paying shipping charges. It might be too late now, but just a heads up. But smart move on the extended warranty.

One thing I have notice is there are many internet cafes here in Europe that you'll be able to connect to their wireless system. Also from my experience purchase a knapsack to put your laptop in instead of a briefcase style bag. Its a lot more comfortable and safer. Now a days accessing the web is easy to do, I don't think it will be an issue for you.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/591727

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice