1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Travelling with hard drive to the west coast

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tdbanks04, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Tdbanks04

Tdbanks04 Thread Starter

hey i have his old pc that barely runs , can i just remove the hard drive and get the adapter and view my files on my laptop? Also im in the mid west and heading to the west coast. Is it safe to take it with me or is there a risk of it being damaged? Thanks so much.

2. britekguy

britekguy

You do not specify whether the old PC is a desktop or laptop.

If it is also a laptop, the drive from it should be able to be powered using the USB transfer cable suited to it alone. If it's a desktop, an external power supply would be necessary.

If a hard drive is even reasonably packaged to prevent exposure to direct shock, it will travel well.

Were I you I would just transfer the wanted files over to the laptop or to a thumb drive rather than hauling around a platter HDD.

3. Tdbanks04

Tdbanks04 Thread Starter

Hey thanks for the response. Its a desktop. I would like to transfer to the laptop but its out west. Maybe i could wait untill my next visit and bring it, does the pc have to run when the laptop is connected? Its really sketchey turning it on it takes forever to do anything. If i decide to try to bring it is there any risk of losing my files removing it from the machine?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1235281

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice