1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Tray icon says "Not Connected - no connections are available", but web works.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by JDavidJ, Dec 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JDavidJ

JDavidJ Thread Starter

Some time ago the mother-board ethernet card on my Dell Dimension 8400 failed, so I fitted a PCI card, and all was well: The failed card was Broadcom NetExtreme 57xx. The PCI one is Realtek RL8139. I got back onto the web, even though one of the (now two icons) in the system tray has a red cross, and all seemed well.

Recently I wanted to set up a home network with a wireless laptop, and though both machines seem to see each other I cannot connect the PC to the LAN to share files. The Ethernet icon in the tray has a red cross, and gives the pop-up "Not Connected - no connections are available". The Network and Sharing Centre will not let me connect, apparently because it thinks I am connected to a public network, which I cannot change to work or home. but it also has a red cross on the PC to Internet connection. If I run the troubleshooter, it cannot find and fix any problems. In the security settings app, I have set the radio buttons to be able to change the status of networks, and to rename them. If I try to connect from the laptop to the PC, I am asked for a network ID and password, but there is nowhere for me to set this up. I have a wireless dongle, but this gives the same symptoms. I am able to connect to a wireless printer (ethernet cable to router, then wireless to the printer).

I have tried many things from various help sites, always making sure I have Administrator privileges. I don't know whether the problem is that the PC only sees the faulty modem, or is something to do with the public network status, which I have seen as a problem in many other posts, but none of the solutions have worked. I have uninstalled the faulty modem, but obviously cannot physically remove it, as it is part of the motherboard.

System information is thus:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 3 Stepping 4
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 3070 Mb
    Graphics Card: Radeon X300/X550/X1050 Series Secondary (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM), 4 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 152335 MB, Free - 110764 MB; E: Total - 324599 MB, Free - 268186 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0J3492
    Antivirus: Virgin Media Security Anti-Virus, Updated and Enabled

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Have you disabled the failed ethernet adapter--in the BIOS or Network Connections or Device Manager?

3. JDavidJ

JDavidJ Thread Starter

Hi.
    I've just rechecked, and the NIC is disabled in BIOS, and so it doesn't appear in Device Manager - only the working one shows there. It is also not visible in the Change Adaptor Settings page of Network and Sharing Centre. So thinking about it, the red-crossed icon in the system tray must refer to the working card, even though I am connected to the internet.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Very mysterious. Please attach a screen shot of the Network and Sharing Center and show ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

5. JDavidJ

JDavidJ Thread Starter

Below is the Config Screenshot, and the Network and Sharing centre view is attached.

Regards
    D

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\David>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : MainPC
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet
    NIC
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-06-4F-7C-45-EC
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::658a:c97a:4b4e:183c%23(Preferred)
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.3(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 11 December 2011 10:57:38
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 11 December 2011 15:07:54
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 318768719
    DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-14-C4-CB-F1-00-06-4F-7C-45-EC

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 194.168.4.100
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter isatap.{4CCD151D-A75B-44C7-B7D5-D4B75C69DEF8}:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #3
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

C:\Users\David>

Attached Files:

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I see nothing in the ipconfig /all that would indicate anything other than a normal ethernet connection to a router.

And I have no clue as to why you'd get the two networking icons nor why the Network and Sharing Center looks so strange.

When you try to access the desktop from the laptop and get "asked for a network ID and password" that implies that it is a Home (or Work) network, you have password protected sharing on, and you need to enter one of the desktop's account names and its password. Try setting password protected sharing off.

Two things I would try, with little reason to believe they will help, are to use Device Manager to uninstall the ethernet, then reboot and let Windows discover the adapter and reinstall the driver, and then run the following repairs ...

(From a JohnWill post)

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista or 7.

Start - All Programs - Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

7. JDavidJ

JDavidJ Thread Starter

Hi,

Sadly you are correct in your lack of hope. I carried out the un ..re-install of the ethernet card, and also the command line processes, and sadly there is no difference. I'll just have to forgo the home network.

Many thanks for trying to help.

8. Freshiz

Freshiz

I have the exact same problem. Also RealTek family blah blah ethernet. Only difference is I have never replaced any card. Well anyways I get the red X in the icon tray saying that no connection is available but the internet work fine (I'm hardwired in, don't even have a wireless card on my PC tower). I can't change my network status from public to home or work, not even an option anywhere, I've been on so many forums and there has been no solution. This thread looked promising but still the same ending. I've just updated the drivers and installed the realtek dash program/suite. The thing shows in my dash but doesn't launch. Really is a bummer. I've also had my IT manager over and he has no clue what's going on. His desperate solution is to upgrade from Win7 Prem to Win7 Pro.
    I live in Thailand and haven't been able to find an english speaking tech that can come to my house. At this point I'd be ready to shell out some decent cash just to have it solved. Most likely I'm just going to take it down to one of the computer centers, replace the ethernet card with some company other than RealTek and have them do a clean install of Win7 Pro making sure they don't set my profile to public network.

Has anyone figured out this issue yet...? sigh...

Thanks for letting me vent!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030344

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice