1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

trayctl.exe error message

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by marvdj, May 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. marvdj

marvdj Thread Starter

I have Windows XP Home Edition operating system. However, every time I log on to my internet provider, I get the following error message:

trayctl.exe - unable to locate component: "This application has failed to start because psystray.pyd was not found, Re-installing the application may fix this problem". Then I click the "OK" button and the error message disappears and my internet continues to work find. How can I get rid of this message. I've called the internet provider and they took me through a few steps, including resetting the internet defaults etc, and I've tried to locate this "psytray.pyd application" to install but, could not find this particular application.

Can you please provide me with some information pertaining to possibly eliminating this problem? Thanks.

2. marvdj

marvdj Thread Starter

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Neither of those programs are XP programs. they belong to something that was installed (and probably later uninstalled).

Download and install the Startup Control panel.

http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

Then, go to the Control Panel and click on the new "Startup" applet. Look through the tabs to see if you can find where the tray control (trayctl.exe) starts and delete it. It will also tell you what folder it is or used to be in so you can tell possibly what program it was associated with.

4. PTProf

PTProf

I have run into the same scenario with one exception. I can make my dial-up connection and I get this message and then I can get on to use my email but can not view any web pages. I get the "Page Not Found" page. It appears that my Earthlink SW is OK with the email, but using IE for the web access is the problem. Do you believe that this same fix should work with this specific problem?

5. Twotone

Twotone

Are you guys all using web accelerator software? If so try uninstalling that and setting the proxy back to normal. A customer of ours has called and said that he uninstalled our web accelerator and it worked.

6. RTE

RTE

I just got this same message when I deinstalled my accelerator program that AT&T Worldnet is using. It is a part of the Accelerator from Propel. Look through support.propel.com this might shed some light on it.

7. bradfork

bradfork

I have read and performed the aforementioned tasks and am certain this error us caused because I tried to delete my accelerator. I am contacting support.propel via email. THANKS SO MUCH. I hope this works.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/228167