Trend Micro = Extreme Resource Hog?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

8dalejr.fan

I have Trend Micro PC Cillin Internet Security 2005 on my computer. I didn't have any initial problems with it for the first couple months of having it on my Windows XP computer. But then, the computer began to constantly freeze on startup. Doing a CTRL+ALT+DEL would reveal CPU usage being very high and "tmproxy.exe" was eating up tons and tons of memory.

I remedied the freezing at startup issue by disabling Real-Time Scanning on my computer immediately before shutting it down. That way, it doesn't start up when Windows loads again. This greatly reduced my CPU usage by more than 90% and cut down on the memory usage significantly too.

I then enable Real-Time Scanning again before I do anything at all to make sure my computer is protected. I also disable the scanning when I play games like Battlefield 2 because it helps performance.

However, I notice that when I turn on the computer with Real-Time Scanning disabled, everything starts up fine and CPU usage is low, but "tmproxy.exe" is still eating up 120,000K of memory. It stays like that throughout the duration of computer use (no matter if Real-Time Scanning is on or not) but sometimes it ends up being down to only 8,000K by the time I shut off the computer many hours later.

Real-Time Scanning only has an effect on computer performance during startup, which is understandable. My hard drive is quite full and it has a lot of files to protect in the beginning, so I don't have a problem disabling it temporarily until Windows loads (I'm very careful not to do anything risky without turning back on my real time protection).

Is "tmproxy.exe" supposed to eat up that much memory- 120,000K? PC Cillin that much of a resource hog? How bad are McAfee and Norton? I guess I'll be switching to AVG when my subscription expires...

8dalejr.fan

TMPROXY is weird. Having the computer on after an extended period with Real Time Scanning enabled leads to memory usage of 120,000K +.

Shutting off Real Time Scan to play a game and having it off for an extended period leads to a memory usage of 1,000K.

Turning it back on gradually builds up the memory usage. :confused:

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online