1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

trend micro to freebies

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Rider, Aug 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rider

Rider Thread Starter

Hi everybody.
    Just lately I am a little tired of paying for virus protection every year and was thinking of changing over to the freebies(Anti Vir,Avg etc) has anybody done this with reasonable success?.I realise that these freebies may not be as good as the commercial protection.Also would I have to get rid of Trend Micro files if I did this?,I guess they may not be compatible running all together.

Thanks ,Rider

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

I use AVG free, it is very good in my opinion.
    Likewise Avast (also free) has a good reputation.

3. Rider

Rider Thread Starter

Thanks Kiwiguy,it is good to know that you have had success with a freebie.When my subscription to Trend Micro runs out they wil lose one customer!
    I have tried the free Avast virus detection tool and it seems to work really well.
    Thanks. Rider

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

I have been active on the web since the mid-90's, never had a virus infection yet.

Have been using AVG for a few years now. Being "sensible" about what you click on helps a lot.

5. hewee

hewee

Was a write up I seen some place this last week or two that even said some of the Free AV were even better then the paid ones. :D

I got AVG on this drive here.

Consumer reports, Sept. 2006 has the best tools for Virus, Spam and Spyware but it only listed paid versions.:rolleyes:

6. Rider

Rider Thread Starter

What do you guys do for a firewall,I just looked up sygate,it looks ok,what do you think?

7. Rider

Rider Thread Starter

Hey Hewee,just saw your Knotts berry farm shots!,I was there in the 70's!,nice place,bet it has changed tho

8. hewee

hewee

Only there at Knotts berry farm the one time last summer and had fun. So don't know how it changed.

I use Zone Alarm Pro and a router.

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I use AVG and Avast! here, they've worked well so far. I don't use a software firewall, I do just fine with the router firewall. I use Windows Defender, SpywareBlaster, and Ad-Aware SE for spyware scanning and protection.

10. lisak2

lisak2

well, I found that AVG found a lot of problems but couldn't fix them.:rolleyes: But then, my computer was in rather poor condition at the time. I use Trend Micro like you used to. One program I found interesting was RegRun. I don't know how people like it, but it certainly seemed to be on top of things. Just make sure that it goes on a CLEAN COMPUTER if you put it on at all. I hear Avast is ok, but then I also hear it's not. Honestly, everyone has an opinion :p but neither of those programs are going to hurt anything. I'd try them out and find which one you prefer. :D

11. new tech guy

new tech guy

For firewall i run zone alarm free and have no problems, bidirectional support, prompts you what to do with every program trying to send and receive traffic and when i run it through Gteve Gibson's shields up and leak test, zonealarm passes the test with flying colors every time. I think wether free or paid zone alarm is the best firewall protection on the net.

12. chris5050

chris5050

I have tryed many firewalls and Outpost pro is the best one.

13. Rider

Rider Thread Starter

Lots of good advice and helpfull comments,thank you everybody.I will try all and report back with what seems to work,may help some other member also.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/491003

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice