1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

TRIAL VERSION: WINDOWS 7 ? (not activated)

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by muddy123, Dec 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. muddy123

muddy123 Thread Starter

some guy used his friends version of windows/7 , without using the activation code, installed windows/7 on top of a linux/ or in place of a linux operating system:, installed windows/7, it is up and running; he says he is getting a message from microsoft saying he has 30 days to 'activate' the operating system ? i was going to buy this used gaming desktop, when he told me about this: what is the worst case scenario ? will i have to buy/install windows after this 'grace period ' ? thanks

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

At the very least,you would need to buy a key
    for that version of windows 7.
    Not much cheaper than buying a full retail install.
    It would probably be better to just get the retail disks
    and do a clean install of windows.
    That way you would have the disks in case a reinstall is
    needed later and you make sure there is no malware left
    on the system.

3. tom6049

tom6049

The 30 day time limit will pass and you will have a computer
    that doesn't go past the warning screen.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

What happened to the product key that came with that version of Windows (if purchased)?

5. muddy123

muddy123 Thread Starter

how can i find out if the used desktop gaming computer i'm going to buy has a legal / non-temporary copy of windows/7 on it ? the guy i was going to buy the computer from said he installed windows/7 , using a friends copy and did not use the product/activation key, he said there's a 30-day trial period, now he says he's loaded an unofficial activation code and the warning about the 30-day grace period is gone, that there is no problem now: how can i check to make sure windows/7 won't become disabled at some future date ? thanks

6. Rockn

Rockn

I would ask him to take the cost of an OS off of the price you are going to pay for the computer because it will become non functional after 30 days and then you will have to pay for an os

7. tkwincru

tkwincru

The other place to check is to Right click on Computer and select properties. You can see at the bottom whether or not the trial period has expired, and whether or not the code used is genuine. You will be better off doing what Rockn suggested and buying a real retail copy of Windows 7 to avoid any further issues.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I've merged your threads. Please do not start multiple threads on the same topic.

That's all you need to know. It is a pirated, illegal copy of Windows. Sometimes the hack will last beyond the 30 day period, but seldom for many months. Then Microsoft makes some change, starts checking something else, and you find that you can no longer get updates and are constantly hounded by "get a legitimate version" messages.

I agree with Rockn's sentiments. Assume that you will need to use a Linux distribution or buy Windows 7 ($200+) when deciding what price you are willing to pay for the used computer.

9. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

Just one note.
    If this is a factory built computer and not custom or home built,
    you can usually get factory restore disks much cheaper from
    the manufacturer.
    Factory built is HP,dell and so on.

10. muddy123

muddy123 Thread Starter

how can i find out if the used desktop gaming computer i'm going to buy has a legal / non-temporary copy of windows/7 on it ? the guy i was going to buy the computer from said he installed windows/7 , using a friends copy and did not use the product/activation key, he said there's a 30-day trial period, now he says he's loaded an unofficial activation code and the warning about the 30-day grace period is gone, that there is no problem now: how can i check to make sure windows/7 won't become disabled at some future date ? thanks

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

See what Computer properties say. That will say if it is temporary or activated.

Ask him to send you the product key. If you can fnd it in a web search, it most likely is no good. Valid keys are not floating around on the internet.

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    That's pretty much all I would need to hear to know its a pirated copy and will cause you problems.

13. muddy123

muddy123 Thread Starter

how hard is it ? do you get free tech phone support if i have a problem ? thanks i have a desktop with a temporary version of windows/7 (he installed windows/7 without the activation/product key, using his friends copy of windows/7), getting a message that says must activate within 30 days, etc. : could i just buy an activation key over the internet ? what would this cost ? which version of windows/7 should i buy, in case it comes to this ? home premium ? mid-level gaming desktop; thanks best buy a good place to buy windows/7 (in case i have to return it ) ? thanks i'm a former main-frame programmer, old school cobol, etc. thanks

14. muddy123

muddy123 Thread Starter

can i see the window/7 activation code/product key somewhere in windows ? if yes, how ? thanks; i'm trying to see if it's a legal copy

15. Mark1956

Mark1956

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!