1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

TRICK: I found an extra copy of registry files in case of crash

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by pierjean, Jul 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pierjean

pierjean Thread Starter

THIS IS NOT A REQUEST FOR HELP: but your comments are welcome!.
    Just a trick to replace the registry hive in case everything else fails or repair files are also corrupted....It saved my life: !!! :)
    system restore never works when needed but the files are still there for you to choose from!
    The C drive holds the system volume information folder. (if it is hidden, you have to make it visible in tools/folder options/view, )
    you also have to take ownership in order to open it. (sharing & security/security)

inside there are many restore folders. do not choose the more recent as it may contain damaged files...look on a folder that will contain a folder named snapshot. there you will find your 5 registry files SAM, SECURITY, SOFWARE, SYSTEM and DEFAULT. you will have only to rename them as such since in this folder they are named as "_registry_machine_SYSTEM" etc :cool:
    I found also many files stored in this treasure chest.
    to simplify the task, better install your drive as slave in another computer....

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/726175

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice