1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Tricky Notebook Problem - Has me Baffled

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by oliver.d, Feb 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. oliver.d

oliver.d Thread Starter

Hey,

I have a 14 month old HP Compaq nx6110, just out of warranty as always. The laptop started randomly freezing about a week ago, first the wireless network or wired LAN would drop, the blue status light on the keyboard would go off, as would the system tray icon. Then all input, mouse etc would freeze. The only way to turn it off was a cold reboot.

I ended up reformatting the hard drive and reinstalling a fresh copy of windows xp. The problem never occured until I installed the broadcom wireless drivers from the HP driver CD, and then it occured just as before.

In addition to the connection dropping and system freezing via wireless and wired networking. When I turn the computer on, totally intermittantly, the BIOS will appear, and then it will goto a black screen, or it just wont come onto the HP load screen. Then again, sometimes it goes through onto windows xp.

Right now, I have disabled all networking on the system, the wireless card is disabled on the HP BIOS, and wired connections are disabled within windows, however I rarely use wired. I can get into windows, and use it for a period of time, I could probably buy a wifi pcmia card, but the problem still occurs when booting up straight away, sometimes it just won't get past the HP logo. Really weird.

I have reflashed the BIOS, done full hard drive format, the works.

Thanks for advance for any help you can offer.

2. ChuckG

ChuckG

Oliver- After you flashed the BIOS, did you load the default or optimal settings in the BIOS? Another remote possibility is maybe the battery is going bad? It sure sounds like the problem is in the BIOS some where.

That's about all I can think of at the moment.

3. oliver.d

oliver.d Thread Starter

I think it reverted to defaults. But i'll go ahead and reset it to defaults right now, and see how that goes. Could this be a hardware problem? I myself can't see why a hardware fault would take out both LAN and WLAN. But it wouldn't explain the intermittant booting problem - as hardware faults tend to be the same problem occuring again and again.

I've tried my current HP notebooks battery in the nx6110 (same battery - higher capacity). Makes no difference.

4. ChuckG

ChuckG

So, did you load the defaults? How's it running?

5. oliver.d

oliver.d Thread Starter

Tried reloading it to defaults. Appeared to be okay at first, but the problem is still there. Freezing, and intermittantly problematic boots.

6. ChuckG

ChuckG

Maybe you could try pulling your wireless card, then running the machine and see what happens.

And you could look for updated drivers for the card on the HP site.

Looks to me like it's going to be a trial and error situation. Keep going, you'll get it.

7. oliver.d

oliver.d Thread Starter

I've had the card removed, and it works fine. But when I plug it into the wired network, or when I try to boot, the problem still exists. It will freeze during network connection, or wont boot properly every time.

Will updated drivers solve the problem outside windows?

8. ChuckG

ChuckG

I don't know if updated drivers will solve the problem. It's worth a shot though.

Let's try this first. Run MSCONFIG and hit the startup tab. Uncheck everything in there, click apply then OK, and reboot the machine.

Run the machine after doing this and post back results.

9. oliver.d

oliver.d Thread Starter

Okay. So I disabled everything in msconfig startup - which wasnt a lot because it was a fresh install. The system hasnt had a boot problem for about 3 boots, and hasnt frozen. However, it's saying wireless is connected, and the light is on, but there is no connectivity. Disabling and renabling the wireless card causes it to fail on renewing IP address. Im hoping that reinstalling these drivers will work. I will let you know.

10. oliver.d

oliver.d Thread Starter

The system was for a while then being stable. But then the networking devices stopped getting recognised by the device manager. Eventually after disabling and renabling and updating drivers, they came back online. But now the boot has messed up again.

11. ChuckG

ChuckG

So, what are you going to do? I'm out of ideas as far as that card goes. Your machine just doesn't like those drivers.

What about trying another card from a different manufacturer.....and uninstalling the current drivers?

What other options do you have? :eek:

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541830

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice