1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Tricky situation involving data recovery/security

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by FrankToronto, Sep 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FrankToronto

FrankToronto Thread Starter

Computer A.
    Blue screened, few times a day till it died and wouldnt boot up again. Running XP

Computer B.
    New PC with XP pro on it. I move the old dead hard drive from A to B and ran a checkdsk which appears to have fixed the original problem with the drive. All the data appears to be there, but in particular, I want to access my old "My Documents" folder. problem is, that folder is under the "Frank" folder of c:\documents and settings\ folder. When I try to access it, I'm getting an error that I don't have permissions. Fine, I say.. I log out and back in with my Administrator account, it's my damn PC, I should be able to get my data back, no dice. It still won't let me in, same error: "Access is Denied". I really want to back up this data, so I can fdisk, format and use it as scratch disk in my new PC. Anyone know how I can get past this?

2. FrankToronto

update:
    I just got a step closer. From being logged in an administrator, I went to the comman prompt and typed: "CACLS /T Frank:F"
    Now, when logged in with my Frank account, I can see the directory structure under the Frank folder, which wasn't visible before, but I still can't get into th subdirectories :( damn

3. FrankToronto

YAY!
    Open My Computer
    Tools/Options, click the View Tab, scroll down the bottom, disable simple file sharing.

Right-click/Properties on the parent folder what you want to access, click the security tab, Click the advanced button, then
    Select you Administrator account, click on the check mark for "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects" and confirm.
    that it. Windows will then clear the ACL and give administrator full access.

Sorry for the self responded post, but I didn't think I'd figure it out that quick! Hope it helps someone else..

Frank

4. BillC

BillC

You are welcome for the help. :) {chuckle,chuckle}

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165054

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice