1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Tried cheap upgrade, but no video!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ranger007, Sep 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ranger007

ranger007 Thread Starter

Hoped for a cheap upgrade from older Pentium to AMD Duron 1400.

1) Removed Pentium MB with PCI cards

2) Installed Matsonic 8137C MB (which was also working when removed 2 weeks ago from another computer - it does have a recently flashed BIOS), along with Duron 1400. AGP video card, memory and PCI cards reinstalled from old Pentium computer.

3) Powered up -- no video

4) Checked connections -- of course!

5) Exchanged memory with different sticks (used both DDR and SDRAMM - separately - MBR supports either

6) Changed to different CPU chip (Duron 1600)

Never got video.

7) Reassembled old Pentium, it works fine. I know the memory and extra CPU works, I'm using them installed on a different, separate computer as I type this.

Any SIMPLE suggestions? Shouldn't be monitor, video card, memory, cables, or etc. They are all working now. Might be the motherboard, but it was working when I removed it from another case 2 weeks ago.

We did double check connections and etc. Are we just overlooking something obvious?

Thanks for the help.
    -----------------------------
    9/03/04 - Found the problem - bad CPU
    Thanks for the help

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

When you state "no video" do we assume that the PC is NOT booting at all?

Or are you getting the BIOS start-up screen but no Windows video?

Sorry for the questions, but if there is absolutely no video, then its likely there is no boot at all?

If its only POST / BIOS video, then the problem would be with trying to run a previously installed version of Windows on a new motherboard, without a reinstall. Thats a no-no as it force feeds all the wrong chipset drivers at start-up.

That would not prevent a boot to BIOS however, so the problem could be more fundamental. Such as no boot?

3. ranger007

ranger007 Thread Starter

To: kiwiguy

Sorry I didn't make myself clearer -- when I said no video I meant nothing on the monitor at all. Can hear something going on, but see nothing.

Thanks for your reply

PS - I was in Christchurch a number of years ago (30+) -- thought NZ was great. Mainly saw the eastern and northern part of South Island

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Pull the problem board from the computer and place it on a non-conductive surface. The mb box is great for this. Install just your video card and one stick of ram. Connect your monitor. Now connect your ps; you may have to pull the ps from the case. Find the power switch leads on the mb and short across them with a small screwdriver.

If it posts now, you have a mounting problem in the case. If it does not post now, you will need to swap parts with known good units ie ram, ps, etc.

BTW Matsonic is made by the ecs group. I would not put much faith in the mb.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269494

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice