1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Tried everything but can't get my computer to start past a few seconds

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ninigwen, Sep 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ninigwen

ninigwen Thread Starter

Hi there, (Acer Aspire 5750z)
    I really hope someone can please help me.
    I've looked at almost any forum I can find and seem to be having a few similar problems but more to other people but nothing I've tried has worked.
    Situation is a few things: I have to tap the power button a million times before I get a blue light to turn on.
    If it does turn on it only lasts a couple of seconds or so
    Also it will not click on just by battery alone it has to have the AC cord plugged in and then as soon as the light is on it can stay on just battery alone.
    There is the odd occasion where it has stayed on more than a few seconds and the very rare occasion it has stayed on like normal.
    I have gotten myself a new cord and battery pack, I've done the air blow trick for the fan even though the fan had been working the whole time. I've factory reset the entire computer.
    I've taken all power away and held the power button down for a minute and tried to turn back on with just the cord plugged in.

I've taken out the memory and tried that also tried the different memory chip sticks changing them trying them all together and all separately but all to no avail.
    The computer was used less than a handful of times before my mum gave it to me it didnt have any information or downloads on it but unfortunately it is now out of warranty.
    I'm trying to get a computer because I don't have much money and trying to do some business from home so I can work it around my 2 yr old twins.
    Please please help me, I'm at my wits end and have spent many many patient hours researching and trying to fix this.
    Also when it does sometimes start up more than a couple if seconds I have ran the start up repair but that never seems to fix anything.
    Also tried holding down the fn and ESC buttons while trying to load a new Bios but it won't stay on long enough to do that any more.
    The device has never been dropped or damaged.
    Thankyou for taking the time to read this and any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

3. CleaverX

CleaverX

Hello, what happens if you remove the battery, the memory modules and the hard drive, then try to start with just the power adapter plugged in to the wall?

4. ninigwen

ninigwen Thread Starter

Thankyou for responding...
    Yes it did fully reset, i was quite suprised it stayed on long enough to allow me to do it. The first time i tried it didnt get to complete so i was eventually able to run it again and it fully completed and restarted and stayed on. So i tried to shut It down and turn it back on to see if it fixed the problem but it didnt.

When i remove the battery and memory modules it does the same thing usually or it may stay on for a while with just a blank screen. If it was always like this then i would just think its stuffed but being there has been times where it has worked and acted normal makes me confused

5. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

With the laptop off and the battery and a/c adapter plugged in, what color is the battery led indicator on front of the laptop?

6. ninigwen

ninigwen Thread Starter

The led indicator is blue because the battery is fully charged but when it wasn't it was orange until it charged.

7. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

So if the laptop has been off for some time (hour or longer) and you turn it on, does the amount of time it last seem longer on the first try then gets shorter and shorter after?

8. blues_harp28

In addition to the above - run a Mem Test.
    http://www.memtest.org/
    Scroll down to 'Download (Pre-built & ISOs)'
    'Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)'

Download the ISO file then burn the ISO to a CD/DVD
    Start the Pc using the Cd and run the memory test overnight or for at least 8 passes.

It is best to run a full scan on individual Ram sticks if you can.
    Or run the test but if any errors are shown - then remove all sticks of Ram and test each Ram stick one at a time.

Guide to using Memtest86+
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic207910.html
    -----
    You can also run the Mem test from a USB stick
    http://www.memtest.org/#downiso
    Scroll down to [ Download (Pre-built & ISOs]
    Download -Auto-installer for USB Key (Win 9x/2k/xp/7) *NEW!*

Download to desktop - unzip it there.
    Put the USB stick into your Pc USB slot.

Click on the Install icon on your desktop - it will then have a box appear asking you to name the USB drive letter.
    Put the drive letter in the box and click on install.

But first to check the correct USB drive letter - with the USB stick in the USB slot of your PC, right click My Computer > click on Open.
    Your USB stick will be listed with the drive letter.
    ======
    Hard drive test.
    SeaTools for DOS tutorial - ISO to CD
    http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/201271en

9. CleaverX

CleaverX

Would you say that if you leave the machine alone for a few hours it usually restarts and stays on for a bit?

10. ninigwen

ninigwen Thread Starter

It doesn't seem to matter if I have left it off or not it does the same thing regardless. And when I get the chance to use another computer I will try that download one.. Thanx

11. ninigwen

ninigwen Thread Starter

Sorry but how can I run those tests if the computer isn't staying on long enough for me to do anything?

12. blues_harp28

Hi, it is me who should say sorry.
    I should have said that you need to download and burn the programs to a DVD using a working pc and then use them on your computer.
    Either use a friend or family members computer or find your local internet cafe.

13. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

This sounds like a heating issue. The laptop is turning itself off to protect the hardware.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1133838

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice