1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Tried installing New Mobo and CPU...boot failure! Help!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Chum, Oct 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Chum

Chum Thread Starter

Starting Windows 98...

Error...configmg
    Windows Protection Error.

New mobo is Asus P4P800...W P4 2.60C And 2 sticks of DDR 3200 Memory (256 each).

Could the DDR Memory be causing this...what can I do?

This is the first time this OS (win98) ahs seen DDR Memory.

I have put my old board/memory/and CPU back in to type this plead for help.

2. mobo

mobo

You may be in for a reformat.

3. alphanumeric

alphanumeric

I agree, you may need to do a clean install. Windows is trying to load using the wrong drivers for your new hardware. It's always a good idea to do a clean install when you make big changes in hardware, especially your motherboard. You can get away with it sometimes if the chip-sets are close, but I wouldn't count on it.

4. Rusty1952

Rusty1952

Yes I agree... when u make that many hardware changes, you will be very likely to get configuration errors when tryin to use ur previous Windows installation from the same hard disk that was in the other pc. A reformat and fresh install will surely cure that mess.

5. unixguy

unixguy

If you have files that you need to keep or if you just don't want to reinstall all of your programs, you might try this first... With the new motherboard installed, try to boot in safe mode. If it will boot, then go to the device manager (rt-click on my computer, then click on properties, then click on the device manager tab). Then click on the [+] box by each of the installed device boards, such as VIDEO ADAPTER, SOUND CARD, NETWORK CARD, MODEM, etc. Then click on each device driver to highlight it, then click on REMOVE (at the bottom of the window). After all of those device drivers are removed, shut the system down and reboot in normal mode. If you are lucky, it will reinstall the PCI and other devices on the motherboard and then the installed card drivers to avoid conflicts. If it continues to try and boot in safe mode even after the device drivers are removed, try removing all of the cards (except the video card, of course) and boot. Then if it boots, try shutting down and installing the cards one at a time (reboot after each one) to see which one is causing the problem.

If it will not boot in SAFE MODE with the new motherboard, reinstall the old one, boot it, remove all of the drivers (as above) then shut down and install the new motherboard and reboot.

If you are not lucky, then OH WELL, time to reformat. I have done this numerous times and it works most of the time.

6. Chum

Chum Thread Starter

It's up and running...after reformat and install of Win98SE...few problems...main one is I get an error message when the desktop
    opens (started after SBLive card install)

Msgsrv.exe...invalid page fault or something. I click OK and it loads...help if you can!

7. ilk

ilk

Funny,

I've been fighting with the same problem , on the same system as yours, all day now. What i've been doing to bypass the configMG is booting into DOS, then doing a scanres /restore back to a prior registry. (This may only work if you were able to boot up at least once into Windows, after you installed the new mobo and memory)

Notwithstanding, Windows is still intermittently booting up and not finding my video driver (Geforce4 nvidia).

Once I stabilize things a bit I think I may have to break bown and do a clean install of WIN98SE also.

I don't think the problem is the Mobo; I think it's windows losing all its links to drivers, as I've been reinstalling one device after another over the past few days.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170339

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice