1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Tried to Dual Boot Vista and XP (Vista Installed)

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by JK49, Jun 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JK49

JK49 Thread Starter

Okay, well i recently bought my new computer which came with Windows Vista Home 64 bit installed on it. I gave vista a chance until i tried to run Counterstrike on it...than i find out that vista does not work with the graphics engine counterstrike uses..and that i'd be better off with XP. So i found a good tutorial to dual boot vista and xp here;
    hxxp://www.pronetworks.org/forum/about88231.html
    Long story short....i found out that i didn't follow the steps correctly, and here are the mistakes i made
    I installed and ran VistaBootPro on VISTA, before installing XP. Doing this, i went to the "System Bootloader" tab and chose option 1(windows vista bootloader) under 'Choose a System Bootloader to Install:'
    and i chose option 1 (all drives) under 'System Bootloader install options' and i hit ' Install Bootloader'
    THAN, i installed XP on my separate partition, rebooted, (now in XP) installed all my drivers, and installed VistaBootPro, and followed the instructions from there (REinstalled the bootloader, and ran diagnostics, found the 'earlier version of windows' and rebooted into vista
    from there i ran VistaBootPro again, ran the diagnostics, found XP, changed the name, and changed the boot drive to J: (the drive i assigned it to)
    i applied updates and rebooted
    when the dualboot screen came, i booted into vista, and it was fine, so i rebooted to test xp
    when i tried to boot into xp, it said that there was an error and that it could not find the /NTLDR file
    frustrated, i reformatted that drive (with XP on it) and tried to install it again
    however, when i boot from disc, i get the BSOD, and it says that there is a problem with my harddrive. and that i should run CHKDSK /F...so i booted into vista and ran scans on all partitions..and found nothing

if anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated
    this is so annoying, as i just bought this new computer, and it's giving me so many problems

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/724085