1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Tried to install Wireless Adapter to win98, no worky, lots of problmes to follow

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by snitz427, Feb 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snitz427

snitz427 Thread Starter

I bought a wireless network system for my house. We have 3 computers, all went fine except my moms computer. She has windows 98, the adapter is only compatible with win98se and up. I didn't notice this until I had already installed it and it's program. Well, of course it didn't work. So I uninstalled it and it's program. Now her dial up will not connect. The modem is fine, when dialing out to compuserve it dials out fine but when it trys to actually connect it says that "the network link to compuserve could not complete". When I access network neighborhood it sometimes does not let me access the entire network and sometimes our home network shows up, others it does not. (I don't even know why we would need to use the network or have one as it's just dial up). I tried to go into DOS and go to a previous restore point but everytime the Restore could not complete. So I then followed Microsoft's directions for manually going to a restore point, and before I could complete the process it said that "e" could not be reached. I believe the code I was entering at the time was along the lines of something something e \ rb003.cab *.* (I forget teh extension name but i think that was it). So by the time I gave up all of the older system restore points (prior to me installing the adapter) are not showing up. I figure that the adapter just screwed up the profiles but I don't know how to fix them...I can't just reinstall anything as my mom sys she has alot of important info in her Compuserve filing cabinet. She's getting rather :mad: since I can't fix it and she can't access that informatino that she needs.

Plllllllllllllease help me! I've been trying to figure this out for 3 days and have gotten no where except a bit mentally ill!! :eek:

Any help is appreciated. I am computer literate, with direction I can do this...but I don't know how the systems work...so really it's just that I am able to follow directions, not figure it out onmy own. Please help!

2. snitz427

snitz427 Thread Starter

anyone? please? :confused:

3. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

I hate to say this but I would probably remove all of her networking information and reload it from scratch. 100 to 1 is that the software installed overwrote some of your networking files and has now corrupted something preventing even DUN from communicating (maybe something in the winsock?) Anyways I would remove it all reboot and readd all the networking comonents back in. Make sure to have your original Windows 98 cd available as well you may need your modem drivers.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326702

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice