Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tried to reset my laptop now I can’t get back in

1K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  flavallee 
#1 ·
Today I tried to reset my laptop so it could run faster and cleaner. I went and clicked to do a factory reset. It went through the process and at the very end of the process said “Failed to reset your pc. No changes were made”. After this it gave me an option to choose an operating system (there were two options and both said Windows 10 On Volume 3) every time I click either of them It restarts my computer and brings me back to the exact same page. I am not able to access command prompt or start up repair because I don’t have an administrator account and it won’t let me use them without one. I do have access to the bios menu. If anyone could help that would be great. I am on a Dell Inspiron 15 500 gaming laptop with windows 10.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
If you can provide some information on your systems it would help a lot! Make/model and serial numbers would help us.

Isabella, I'm going to request your post be split off to your own thread. Even though the problems are similar, the situations may be quite different.

#8 ·
What is the exact "service tag" and "express service code" numbers on that Dell Inspiron 15 500 laptop?

Is it actually a Dell Inspiron 15 5000 model?

Have you made any hardware upgrades or changes to it since you purchased it?

-------------------------------------------------
Yes that is the model of it, and no I haven't made any hardware upgrades since I got it.

#4 ·
Do you have a current backup of anything important ie docs, pics, video, etc?
I am NOT a fan of installing windows from within windows; it is problematic at best. I much prefer booting the system with a windows install usb and clean installing windows.

BTW when I do a search, I do not find any Dell Inspiron 15 500. I do find an inspiron 5000 however that has onchip ie intel video and I would hardly consider that a gaming laptop. Post the exact service tag# for your system.

#11 · (Edited)
The service tag is HY7D4K2
You have THIS Dell Inspiron 15 Gaming 5576 Notebook PC
It was purchased in November 2017 and came with Windows 10 Home 64-bit.

Now that it's been correctly identified, it should be easier to help you.
Hopefully, Couriant (who I believe used to work for Dell) will jump in to help you with the factory reset issue.

--------------------------------------------------

#13 ·
I didn't work for Dell, but the University I have worked with for over 5 years is a Dell shop so I have worked on a lot of them. :)

Since you have your documents safe, you should be able to create an USB OS Recovery (link is direct link) on a different computer. It will (should) have all the updated drivers and will wipe the machine and install windows back to original settings.

How it works:
  1. Download and install the Dell OS Recovery Tool.
  2. Launch the Dell OS Recovery Tool and enter the Service Tag of the PC that needs its operating system reinstalled.
  3. Select the operating system image you'd like to install, and the OS Recovery Tool will build your bootable USB recovery drive.
  4. Install the operating system using the newly created USB recovery drive. This will remove all data and software from your PC's hard drive and restore the factory-installed operating system.
One thing I do when I reimage a Dell machine is to go into the BIOS and remove the Windows Boot Manager from the list, as well as making sure that the USB is showing in the boot list so I know that when I remove the Windows Boot Manager, on the next reboot, it will boot to the USB. The Windows Boot Manager will show back in there when Windows is installed.

It would be a nice thing to keep on hand if you need to reinstall Windows at any other point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.