1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trigger List in Excel 2007

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Phartking, Feb 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phartking

Phartking Thread Starter

I want to turn a drop down list on/off based an entry derived by a separate formula in a different cell. The "triggering" cell either has the desired text or is blank. I want the drop down to turn on with the text entry or off w/ a blank based on what the "triggering" cell contains. I hope this makes sense. TIA,Phartking

2. bomb #21

bomb #21

Welcome to the board.

See the attached file. C2 has the formula =IF(A1+A2=2,1,0) ; hopefully that's self-explanatory.

Then there's a defined name dv which refers to:

=IF(Sheet1!$C$2=1,Sheet1!$E$2,Sheet1!$E$3)

C4 has a dropdown. When C2 returns 1, the dropdown option is "test", from E2. When C2 returns anything else, the dropdown option is "test", from E3.

This could probably be streamlined some, it's just to give an idea that something ought to be doable. Comments? :)

Attached Files:

3. Phartking

Phartking Thread Starter

I've tried drop down lists w/ indirect, indirect & substitute, substitute, etc. I keep getting the list name but not drop down contents. I'm trying to get the text "Opening" to turn the list on. I think the problem lies in the fact that the trigger text is created by the file in the attachment. TIA, Phartking

Attached Files:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!