1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Triple boot advice wanted please

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by scbs29, Jan 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scbs29

scbs29 Thread Starter

Hello all
    At present I dual boot Win XP SP3 and PCLinuxOS Gnome.
    My disk setup is
    Internal 250 Gb master set up as 133 Gb for XP and the rest for storage of files etc, both NTFS
    Internal 200 Gb slave set up as a logical partition with partitions 12 GB /, 4 Gb swap, 64 GB /home,
    all ext4 according to /etc/fstab, and the rest as NTFS primary partition for more storage of files etc.
    Boot up is taken care of by Grub, when I can select booting into XP or PCLinuxOS.

I would like to triple boot with what I have now and with Windows 2000.
    Would it be feasible to do as follows :
    Create a new partition on the master hdd after XP by shrinking WinXP and install Win2000 to this. I would assume that this would overwrite the mbr and would thus only boot Win2000. If this is the case, could the mbr be reset from the PCLos live CD so that Grub would pick up XP, 2000 and PCLos and allow booting to either of these ?
    At present I use Win2000 in a virtual machine within VirtualBox, but this is not really satisfactory, which is why I would like to boot 2000 on the hdd.
    I definitely do not want to have to wipe the hdd and reinstall everything.
    I have asked in Linux forums and been advised that my query would be better dealt with in a Windows forum.
    Any advice gratefully received.

Pentium 4 dual core 3019 MHz
    MSI KT6V-LSR (MS-7021) mobo
    2Gb SDRAM
    Nvidia GeForce 7950 GT 512Mb RAM
    master SATA hdd Maxtor STM3250820AS 250Gb
    Partitioned
    133 Gb WinXP SP3 61 Gb free
    100 Gb empty partition NTFS
    slave SATA hdd WDC WD2000JD-00HBB0 180 Gb
    Partitioned
    80 Gb Linux, / 12Gb, swap 4Mb, /home 64Gb
    103.5 Gb NTFS partition, 75 Gb free

2. surferdude2

surferdude2

I have never done exactly that but have pretty extensive experience multi-booting Windows versions.

First, do the partition creation, as you stated.

Since you already have XP and Linux dual booting, I would recommend making a copy of the MBR using MBRWORK or equal. Backup the entire first track also.

After verifying that I had ample backups for all occasions, I would install Win2k. That will rewrite your MBR so you'll now likely boot directly to Win2K.

Now boot to the MBRWORK boot floppy and restore the MBR from your backup.

If that works, you should now be getting your old boot screen back. Boot to XP to test. Then try the grub boot repair or install some freeware boot manager. That will allow you to direct your boot process to any installed system.

Sound reasonable but I can't guarantee it since I haven't done it. If you get a couple more opinions that agree, I'd feel better. ;)

I wouldn't hesitate to try it on my computer but I have a backup system that allows me to do risky things without fear. I wouldn't try it without that.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974881

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice