1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Triple Boot Problem since Installing Windows 7, any help really appreciated

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by xchief, Oct 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xchief

xchief Thread Starter

Hi! Thanks for taking the time to help me out.

I was running a dual boot with two installs of windows xp. One called Gaming XP just for gaming, and one called Windows XP for internet, testing new software , torrents etc... I have these xp installs on two 640gb in raid 0.

Everything worked fine until I installed Windows 7 on another partition on the two 640gb in raid 0.

Now when I try to boot into windows xp, it freezes at a black screen, before the windows logo even appears. If I try to load it in safe mode, it freezes at disk.sys. Gaming xp works fine, and so does Windows 7.

What could have happened during the windows 7 install that would make my windows xp install freeze? This has been driving me crazy. Any help is greatly appreaciated.

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

I suspect it is a co-incidence, since you use that partition for testing and torrents, you may have a virus.

Some bios settings can cause freezes also. Check the bios clock while you are in there.

Run chkdsk on that partition

Don't be too quick in blaming W7 for the issue.

3. xchief

xchief Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply Mumbodog. Lets say it wasn't Windows 7. I was running norton antivirus and firewall (well norton 360) and keeping it up to date. I didn't have any strange behaviour indicating I had any kind of problem. Also, that windows xp partition booted fine right up until Win 7 was installed. I ran a chkdsk and everything was fine. I'll have to check the Bios, but nothing was touched in there. Is there any way I can get back into my windows xp install even though it's freezing at disk.sys? I would like to do a repair installation, however windows xp doesn't give me an option to do a repair install. It's like it sees all my partitions, but doesn't recognize that any os is installed.

Thanks.

4. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Viruses and malware get past AV all the time, not a problem for a good malware coder.

When doing an XP repair, the CD you use has to be the same SP level as the installation you are trying to repair.

W7 install changes the MBR and doing a XP repair may overwrite this, making W7 non bootable. You would then need to do a W7 startup repair.

I have a triple boot myself, it had XP and Vista, then I added W7 with no issues.

Not sure what happened in your case.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Please don't be insulted by this question. :) Are you sure that you installed Windows 7 in a different partition instead of accidentally overwriting the test XP?

6. xchief

xchief Thread Starter

Hi TerryNet. I'm not insulted. Yes I installed windows 7 on another partition. I actually had to resize a 400gb partition on the raid 0 array to 350gb, to give me a 50gb partition for windows 7. After resizing this partition, I was still able to boot into Windows xp and Gaming xp. It's only after installing windows 7 on the new partition that Windows xp starting freezing at boot.

Thanks.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Since I didn't insult you, let me try again. :) From what you said you know that the resizing didn't mess up the XP installation. But, what confirms that you installed as intended?

On the Windows 7 in Start - Computer do you see the other two partitions as drives (maybe D and E) with sizes and free space to indicate that they are the XP installations? Does the file system in the test XP seem to be intact?

Or look in Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Computer Management - Disk Management. You'll see much of the same information plus indication of the relative locations of the drives.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/873178

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice