1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

triple boot xp

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rip7, Dec 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rip7

rip7 Thread Starter

right here we go this might have been covered before but i cant find it
    what i need is to have my toughbook running 3 setups of xp that each show up as c drive when booted
    i need to run 3 different diagnostic programs that all need c drive but cant run together because of conflicts and it just cost too much to have 3 toughbooks
    i did once manage to get 2 working but cant for the life of me remember how i did it
    thanks for any help

2. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

What about two XPs in virtual machine or aren't the diagnostics suited for that?

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

You can have 3 XP's on the same drive and have them all be C:. That is not really a problem. But getting them all to be C: means that 2 of them will need to be hidden during setup so that C: is assigned to each installation. You can do that by setting the "hidden" flags on the partition with something like Parted Magic.

But then after installing, you will need to have some way of setting up a boot menu to choose between them. I recommend GAG Boot Manager since it is easy to set up and makes a nice boot menu. (And don't forget to unhide your partitions.)

Parted Magic disk partitoning tool (Bootable CD image)
    If you prefer a bootable USB key, download and run Linux Live USB Creator. Choose the Parted Magic distro, and it will download it and automatically create a bootable USB key.

This CD (or key) contains many useful tools. You can partition, recover files, recover lost partitions, make disk images (by several different methods), transfer files between media, scan for viruses (It can serve as an Alternative Trusted Platform for search and elimination of rootkits and bootkits), examine and benchmark hardware, access the internet, and much more.

============================================

But having them run as virtual machines is a good idea, too. I have 3 VM's installed (including Windows 8) to an external drive so that I can move them and boot them up on several different machines. using VMWare.

4. rip7

rip7 Thread Starter

thanks i will try that but a virtual machine wont work with what i need the diagnostic software is vey touchy and sometimes doesnt behave if there any other programs installed with it.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

I understand. As versatile as VM's are, there's some things they just can't do, and low-level access to a machine and drivers are among them.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031733

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice