1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Triple-booting W7/64, WXP, W98SE?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by KingDrax, Feb 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KingDrax

KingDrax Thread Starter

My laptop is currently set up as a dual-boot machine, with a W7 Home Premium 64-bit o/s as the main o/s, and WXP SP3 32-bit as the other. I'd like to add Windows 98SE to that list in order to be able to run legacy programs.

My setup is:

MSI CR620
    CPU: Intel Celeron P4600
    VGA: Intel GMA HD
    LED Panel: 15.6" HD 1366x768 (Glare Type)
    RAM: DDRIII 8Gb @1066MHz
    HDD: 911Gb

The hard drive is of course a SATA drive so I'm sure I'll need at least the drivers for that.

I know how to image my hard drive in case anything goes wrong. I'm also familiar with EasyBCD boot manager which I used to set up my dual-boot installation That's not going to be a problem.

But where to start? People have said that it's not a good idea to do this as the W98SE system can't often find 64-bit drivers, but surely if the system can run WXP 32-bit, then it has some 32-bit drivers there?

I think I will need to slipstream my W98 installation disc with some drivers, especially the SATA drivers (even my WXP install needed this!)

Any advice on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated!

2. Abriam26

Abriam26

I really do not recommend Windows 98 SE.
    It is slow (well, it might be fast with your specs), but really simple..
    It's useless nowadays

3. KingDrax

KingDrax Thread Starter

Yep, I know it is :) But I'd like to try this.....

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

From what I recall, the windows bootloader will not support more than 2 entries [I may be wrong so do check] It would be possible to use a third party bootloader.

Next you are not going to be able to do this anyway since win9x becomes unstable when you have more 512 of ram. Since you list 8gig of ram in your specs, I do not believe you will be able to limit win9x to its requirement of ram. Even if you are able to install it AND the laptop maker has drivers for win9x [which I am sure it does not] it will be very unstable and basically unusable. In short give up on this idea.

5. KingDrax

KingDrax Thread Starter

Yes, I was going to use EasyBCD but if the driver and RAM issues are as insurmountable as you say, then perhaps not.....

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Did you find win9x drivers on the support page for your laptop???

7. KingDrax

KingDrax Thread Starter

What a good idea. I will look! Thanks!

8. Rearden

Rearden Banned

9. KingDrax

KingDrax Thread Starter

Wow, so many good ideas to follow up on. Thanks guys!

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I was making a joke; you are not going to find win9x drivers for anything mfg in the last 10yrs or so. It does not matter if you install as a virtual machine or not; if there are no drivers, you are wasting your time.

11. KingDrax

KingDrax Thread Starter

Oops <embarrassed> well ok then it looked like a good idea ;)

12. Rearden

Rearden Banned

I have to disagree with you on this. Virtual machine software uses virtualized hardware. It doesn't matter what physical hardware is on the host computer. I have personally installed Windows 98 in VirtualBox recently.

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Even if it had virtual drivers for things like the touchpad, sound, lan, wireless, etc. It is still not going to get around the ram limit of win9x. Since he has 8gig, I would assume the laptop has 2x4gig chips. I would think this would cause a problem when you try to limit the amount of ram win9x uses.

14. KingDrax

KingDrax Thread Starter

It does indeed have 2x4Gb RAM cards. However, would it be possible to configure the VirtualBox to emulate say 512Mb ram or similar, like how you can set the emulated RAM size in the Atari ST emulator 'Steem'?

15. Rearden

Rearden Banned

You can limit the amount of RAM assigned to a virtual machine. All the other hardware you mentioned is virtualized and doesn't rely on the physical hardware.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090670

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice