1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Triple Monitor setup using TV Screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Krissy454, Apr 8, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Krissy454

Krissy454 Thread Starter

Hello, I did see this question asked previously in a different thread but was not able to find the answer. Hopefully this is a simple question to answer, as I think I have the answer, but before wasting company money I'd like to ensure this indeed will work.

I have a dual monitor setup with a graphics card that supports only two monitors (VGA and HDMI). Our office is needing to add a third display to show a scrolling presentation (PowerPoint) that will be mounted on a wall approximately 20 feet away from my station.

I have guessed the easiest way to accomplish this is (without graphics card knowledge):
    - Smart TV with wall mount
    - 25' HDMI Cable
    - StarTech USB-C to HDMI Video Adapter with USB Power Delivery

Connect to USB port and simply display on the third screen ... will this work? It seems so simple, am I missing something critical? Will this setup register as a third screen? I am using Windows 7 Professional Intel Core i5-6400 CPU

Thank you in advance for any help!

Krissy.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
  3. Krissy454

Krissy454 Thread Starter

Hello! Thank you for your response. I dont know enough about the system I am using to answer correctly, but I am guessing not. Is there a way to have a third display without upgrading the graphics card? If I do need to upgrade the graphics card is this a costly and lenghty process?

Thank you again for your help

4. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    There are two options, depending on how the third monitor will be used.

1) Upgrade the video card (with a card with multiple outputs)
    2) Use an external USB type video adapter ( example: https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com...ocphy=1016291&hvtargid=pla-497990153237&psc=1 ).

If this is for a gaming type situation, you will want the video card. If it's for simple office programs, web browsing, etc., then the USB adapter will work just fine.

*NOTE: I've not used that Startech adapter, but I've used an older USB > DVI adapter for a work setup without any issues.

5. Krissy454

Krissy454 Thread Starter

Hello Oddba11, thank you for your help! The screen will be used to display stats, sales, completed deals, etc most likely with PowerPoint.

I have used Startech adapters in the past without issue so I hope this will be functional as well.

Thank you again everyone for your help!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1225566

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice