Tripp Lite USB Hub

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Computer will not start (meaning when you push the 'power on' button, nothing happens) when the a/c adapter is plugged in, without the adapter plugged in, computer starts normally and you can connect the adapter part way thru boot up, or even once windows loads.....you can also restart the computer (without doing a complete shutdown) and everything is happy....the problem is just on a cold boot up.

I've emailed Tripp Lite (ya, right, holding my breath) -- also searched for other similar problems.....any ideas?

I had the same problem last night, but it was on a desktop. Is this with a laptop?

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Thanks for the response......

Desktop as well.

I just re-read my original post and perhaps I should have been more clear....the a/c adapter I am referring to is the adapter for the USB Hub.

ohhhhhh... I see. Well then this is different. (now that I look at the thread title I should have known) That is odd it does that. Does anyone else have any ideas? I will have to ponder it. What happened with my computer was I put in a new sound card and the new sc and the ethernet card were conflicting, so I had to install the sc with the ethernet out, then put it back in, but with them both in and no drivers for the sc, the computer wouldn't boot at no. (no power went to anything... it would make a very faint whizzing and die) Has the usb worked before, or is it new? Do you think it is a similar problem...

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Yes, I recall either looking at your thread or responding to it.

No, this is brand spanking new out of the box....I've never worked with hubs before, so I figured I would just plug it in and be good to go.

I have a web cam, a copier and a deskjet printer hooked up....all work after the initial startup.

I disconnected everything attached to the computer at least 3 times before I finally figured out (tested the theory 5 or 6 times) that a good start would occur with the power to the wall for the usb hub was disconnected.....otherwise, hitting the start button had the effect of no power at all.....strange and puzzling I must say.....

Yes, that is strange and puzzling...quite so... however I too haven't worked much with hubs so I don't really know what to say, other than that it sounds like it may be a hardware problem. Do you think the hub may be defective in anyway? You would think that you can just plug it in and go...

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
I wouldn't think the hub is defective since it does work once windows loads. It must be some type of power issue....I don't know....where's my hardware men????? :D :D :D

Candy
I have a Tripplite U204-004-R hub and the symptoms you are getting sometimes happens with hubs according to the info I got. When I first got mine I questioned Tripplite and the answer I got was use the power connection only if an item is not working properly. Currently I have all four ports filled and all items are working fine without the power connection. They never did give me a straight answer as to why the power cannot be hooked up
continuosly. I spoke with another tech at Milwaukee PC and he confirmed that power is not required since most usb items supply there own power and could cause problems with the bus.
Anyway thats what I know.
Dave

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Hey davey, how's it going?

Well, this is the email I sent to them:

I just bought a model C205-004-U-R 4 USB Hub. I cannot find any information
regarding this model on your website.

My problem is when it's powered (connected to the power adapter), my
computer will not start. If I disconnect it from the power adapter, the
computer starts normally. I can then plug it in midway thru bootup, and
everything is fine......

Any information would be appreciated.

And the email I received back just a few minutes ago:
Hello Candy,

Could you please provide me with the correct model number?

example:
U-204-004-R,

Thank you for choosing Tripp Lite.

And my reply back to them:
Thanks for your reply....BUT, I am pulling that number off the box......I
purchased it in Mexico....if that makes a difference........sometimes things
are backwards here.....

END EMAIL

The only reason I even bothered to plug the thing in to begin with is my USB camera cried that it didn't have enough power to run.....bah humbug.....just double checked again....it's not happy without power.....

Candy
Thats really funny and not funny because its a problem for you.
My nikon 885 coolpix did the same exact thing when I plugged into the usb port. I ended up moving my printer from the towers usb the the 4 port and plugged the camera into the second usb outlet on the tower.
Dave

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Hmmm....the only thing I have plugged into the usb in-port on the computer is the hub......I'll give the camera a shot there in the second port.....but in any event, I would think I should be able to start the silly thing with the adapter plugged in......after all, ISN'T that the whole concept?????? :(

I'm really beginning to think I should have been a lawyer after all...... :eek:

Candy
I do not really understand why the usb acts that way but that is the way mine is working and has for some time. As you add more to the hub I would be interested in knowing how the hub reacts if it comes on an item that requires power. All my items work ok without the boost.
Dave

Edit P.S. Actually the Hub is a switch unit to allow multiple items to one USB port on the tower. I think the power side was an after thought since a few items do not supply their own.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online