1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Tripped breaker screws everything....helpp

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Ryanb000, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ryanb000

Ryanb000 Thread Starter

I was watching a dvd on my hp pavillion a510n when my dad decided to flip the breakers, without telling me.. So when the power came back on and I turned the hp back on, it hung on the Blue "HP INVENT" screen with the boot options at the bottom which cannot be used. I know the hard drive isnt bad in it because I put it in a good working computer it worked just fine. What other problems may have occurred?

HP Pavillion a510n
    XP Home

Thanks in advance

Ryan

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Boot from the XP CD, choose "R" for "Restore", and run chkdsk /p from the Recovery Console.

3. Ryanb000

Ryanb000 Thread Starter

alright I'll try that, thanks alot for the help.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

You're welcome, but we may not be done yet. Good luck.

5. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Power outages can sometimes corrupt the CMOS memory too so you might have to reset it and reconfigure BIOS settings. I'd make your dad fix it.

6. Ryanb000

Ryanb000 Thread Starter

Well, my dad fixing it isnt an option i just moved out of his house and hes computer illiterate anyways, and I can usually figure this kind of thing out but not this time.

The person whom recommended me booting from the xp cd and restoring should know that I cannot locate or get ahold of an XP cd...
    BUT, the screen that the computer hangs up on, it the screen with the RESTORE back to day one option on it. along with the boot menu and such, BUT I cannot push any buttons, its like frozen there. This is so irritating.

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you are using a USB keyboard or mouse, try the PS/2 ones for the recovery.

You can burn this CD image to make a bootable CD with the Recovery Console:

XP Recovery Console CD image

8. Ryanb000

Ryanb000 Thread Starter

so I need to put that console image on a cd (cd-(rw/r) or (dvd-(rw/r)...? which one? and then just put it into the broken one?

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

The CD image is an iso image which you can burn to CD or CD-RW. Boot your machine from it, choose to repair, and load the Recovery Console. From there, you can make some repairs, including running chkdsk /p.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590611

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice