1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trivial Excel Problem

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by sliderule, Apr 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sliderule

sliderule Thread Starter

This will seem trivial to most of you, but I'm a style/appearance freak with regard to documents. Having barred my soul, here's my problem. I have a column of numbers, some in the six digit range and some mere single digits. I want the underscore of the bottom number (in the cell above the sum) to be as wide as the largest number in the column - purely for looks. If the bottom number is, say, a single digit, Excel just puts an underscore under that single digit and it ain't purdy. Any advice will be appreciated.

2. jbcalg

jbcalg

try putting the top border line in the sum cell instead of the one above it
    although it sounds like you're using the underline feature - because a bottom border line in the last number cell (the one above the sum) should work equally as well

3. XL Guru

XL Guru

>> If the bottom number is ... a single digit, Excel
    >> just puts an underscore under that

I believe that's pretty much how it works. jbcalg's "borderline" solution is recommended.

If you have "123456" in A1 and "789" in A2, you can turn font underline on for A2 and amend the content of the cell to

=" "&789

or something similar to kludge it (that's mutiple spaces, it just doesn't show up that way in here). But then =SUM(A1:A2) falls over. You'd have to use =A1+A2 instead. So I wouldn't recommend that at all, probably.

Rgds,
    Andy

4. jbcalg

jbcalg

yup, borderline, that describes me and my solutions :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221021

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice